Fatalities due to electrical home accidents in Great Britain

omg, dont get me started on part p.

People off the street can still wander in to B&Q and buy a fuse board!

Part p is a load of sh1te. Paying each year to do something we have qualifications in...

Sponsored Links
chris_1982 said:
omg, dont get me started on part p.
What do you think of Part P?

People off the street can still wander in to B&Q and buy a fuse board!
Do you want to make it illegal to buy electrical components? :confused:

Part p is a load of sh1te. Paying each year to do something we have qualifications in...
Why are you paying? Why aren't you including the cost in your overheads and putting up your rate accordingly? :confused:

How do u know he's paying. Maybe chris is a member of the COR brigade.

I get a lot of work because I am Part P registered. What annoys me is the govt have imposed this load of overhead on us honest joes and do nothing to police those who ignore it.

LABCs who charge notification fees and then refuse to test and then (worse still) allow a PIR as a certificate would be number one in my list of things to sort out.

Taylortwocities said:
What annoys me is the govt have imposed this load of overhead on us honest joes and do nothing to police those who ignore it.
Just my opinion, but isn't life too short to be getting annoyed at other people's laziness and incompetence? You won't change it, but you can make your corner of the universe respectable. ;)

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Just my opinion, but isn't life too short to be getting annoyed at other people's laziness and incompetence? You won't change it, but you can make your corner of the universe respectable. ;)

Spot on

chris_1982 said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Part p does not negate your qualifications and there is no compulsion for you to join a scheme. The Building Regulations are all about standards; how you achieve those standards is up to you and one option is to enrol on a self-certification scheme.

In my experience, a majority of so-called electricians fall below the level of knowledge, experience and skill required to join such a scheme without further training.

Remember, qualifications do not automatically confer competence and all trades have plenty of examples of this anti-principle in action.

I recall a relative once saying that anyone who does their work properly would have no fear of it being inspected.

Only those who have something to hide fear inspection.

sorry for the abrupt post. I guess part p has its uses, clients know that they are getting a reputable person to do their work if they are a member.

Part p does not negate your qualifications and there is no compulsion for you to join a scheme
You must join a scheme for some domestic works or pay the council for each notification, i see that as pretty much compulsory if you want to do the work. Theres no way of changing a fuse board for example without notifying the local authorities. My fiancee is a legal exec and as law insists on part p certificates for any electrics carried out in the specific locations if someone wants to sell their house - its now a legal requirement.

Personally i am not yet a member of a scheme, but do not undertake any work which is specified in the part p of building regs unless i get the local council involved, i mostly do repairs, fault finding and lighting. I cant afford to pay the £500 yet, i've only just bought my first van, i've been self employed only a short time.

chris_1982 wrote:

in my opinion you are wrong, if someone does an apprenticeship, got the certs, that should allow them to work on any electrics. With the new building regs, anyone off the street who shows competency can install any electrics they choose yet dont have to go to college.

correct me if i'm wrong, i might be :LOL:

chris_1982 said:
You must join a scheme for some domestic works or pay the council for each notification, i see that as pretty much compulsory if you want to do the work.
There's no such concept as "pretty much compulsory" - it's like saying "pretty much disemboweled". I don't have to join, you don't have to join, we don't have to join, etc.

Theres no way of changing a fuse board for example without notifying the local authorities.
There is a way - failing to notify would achieve the not notifying. It would be illegal though.

My fiancee is a legal exec and as law insists on part p certificates for any electrics carried out in the specific locations if someone wants to sell their house - its now a legal requirement.
Oh. I did not know that. :rolleyes:

Personally i am not yet a member of a scheme, but do not undertake any work which is specified in the part p of building regs unless i get the local council involved, i mostly do repairs, fault finding and lighting. I cant afford to pay the £500 yet, i've only just bought my first van, i've been self employed only a short time.
Your adherence to the law is laudible - it will stand you in good stead.

chris_1982 said:
in my opinion you are wrong, if someone does an apprenticeship, got the certs, that should allow them to work on any electrics. With the new building regs, anyone off the street who shows competency can install any electrics they choose yet dont have to go to college.
College is not the only route to competency.

correct me if i'm wrong, i might be :LOL:
You're wrong, but you're getting there. ;)

Edit: corrected a structural mistake in quoting.

my cousin has no qualifications and did not do an apprenticeship..

he has worked as a "mate" for about 13 years and for the last company for 12 months..

he's been put in charge of most job's he's been on with this company and most of the time knows more than the "qualified" sparks that have only been doing it for 3-4 years..

so qualified does not always equal competent..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back