Fatalities due to electrical home accidents in Great Britain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fatalities due to home accidents in Great Britain caused by use or misuse of electrical equipment and electrical installations
Number of home accidents

2001-02 (1 April 2001 to 31 March 2002)

2002-03 (1 April 2002 to 31 March 2003)

2003-04 (1 April 2003 to 31 March 2004)

2004-05 (1 April 2004 to 31 March 2005)

2005-06 (1 April 2005 to 31 March 2006)

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Where did those figures come from? I'm not surprised though.
is there a breakdown to show just the electrical installations bit?

Those figures show a distinct rise since the introduction of PP.

Sponsored Links
they can be anything to do with using electrical equipment..

mowing the lawn without an RCD protected socket..
jamming a fork in th etoaster to retrieve a lost muffin... etc...

the increase might be from people using miltiplugs in the kitchen because they can't fit extra sockets and don't want to spend loads getting a few put in..

securespark said:
Those figures show a distinct rise since the introduction of PP.

Are you sure? they jumped up 2004-05 (1 April 2004 to 31 March 2005)

I'd expected to find the source info on www.ons.gov.uk but I can't get to it today.

when did part P come in again?

might be that people saw it comming and bodged anything they needed doing quick before they couldn't..

continued elevated levels is down to new people getting killed by the old bodges..

info might be in here, but who wants to dig it out?
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=6922

Often sudden changes in stats are caused by differences in ways they are collected, or a change in what people think is meant.

And it is often saifd that Fire reports blame "electrical fault" when they don't see any evidence of what caused a fire.

Considering the potential dangers of faulty installations, I would consider those number of deaths to be remarkably low, and a testament to the safety of our electrical system.

With 3500 road deaths each year, you are 350 times more likely to die driving to your next job, than being electrocuted............ :eek:

What if you were driving to a job that involved electrical work on the roads?

Or you were an autoelectrican

Too risky for me!

Mind you, 37% of all road fatalities are caused by drunk drivers.
ipso facto, sober drivers kill more people, safer to drink and drive? [/i]

Part P does not apply to all installations, only to new ones.

As there are about 20m homes in the UK and 200k built a year that means only 2% of the housing stock conforms to part P.
So if it halved the accident rate it wouldn't reduce even the 13 accidents by one.

Stoday said:

Complete and utter tosh.
All electrical works must comply with BS7671, whatever it is.

Most work done in a domestic premises (ant that includes changes and alterations in bathrooms, kitchens and outside) and any new circuits have to be notified to the Local Authority that the work complies with BS7671.

The process of notification is what is regulated by Building regulations Part P.

So if you put a new light in your bathroom its notifiable under Building regulations Part P. In an old house, or a new one.

surely there must be a connection between the cheap chinese stuff comming in possibly being less robust also
because prices have dropped so dramaticly perhaps more and more people are buying amoungst other things
diy and power tools they wouldnt even think of buying before :D

add to that the overload of makover and home inprovement programs
giving people with little knowlage the will to bodge it themselves :rolleyes:

Taylortwocities said:
Complete and utter tosh.
I'm sorry to be the one informing you that this isn't correct either.

Taylortwocities said:
Stoday said:

Complete and utter tosh.

INCORRECT

Most work done in a domestic premises (ant that includes changes and alterations in bathrooms, kitchens and outside) and any new circuits have to be notified to the Local Authority that the work complies with BS7671.

INCORRECT - Must be safe

The process of notification is what is regulated by Building regulations Part P.

CORRECT

So if you put a new light in your bathroom its notifiable under Building regulations Part P. In an old house, or a new one.

CORRECT if it is an addition or a change bu not a mere replacement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back