Father in Law, Back boiler with gas fire put AR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Father in Law is having a new gas pipe installed into house by supplier/transco. This morning prior to the visit for the works tomorrow a fitter has put his BB at risk due to inadequete ventallation. House in a 1930 terraced house no cavity walled with separate kitchen with Gas hob and cooker (1 unit). The boiler is in the rear room with standard doors leading to kitchen and hallway. The room has a vent in the floor non screened which is directly opposite a clay air vent to the rear of the property (within 30cm) but not ducted. There is also another clay air vent within 100cm at the rear of the property. To the front of the property is another 2 air vents these will be around 6M away. Floor is suspended timber construction.

Guy who put it AR said vents needed to be ducted and has offered no other advice.

Is this the case when non cavity wall. Then as well the clay vent on its own probably does not meet the minimum requirement if it was ducted to the internal floor mounted vent so will need changing to plastic. And even then may not be large enough or is the duct a red herring?

Sponsored Links
You seem to be very surprised about this.

That makes me think that you have never had it serviced!

The way we treat these has changed over the last few years.

Tony

And the answer is? Yes they have gone from NCS to AR, but just wanted constructive advice. Might be time to get the 5inch core cutter out if the ducting issue is correct?

Even a duct through a solid wall should be ducted. But that is being a little pedantic.

I suspect he is more concerned that the hole in the floor is not directly ducted to the outside.

But he cannot turn off without your permission.

I dont think they can withold a gas supply either if its not ID.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Get a vent cut in directly to outside( if poss ) by core drill in the same room as the boiler. Forget about the other vents. Sorted, and don't forget to have it serviced before Winter.(y)

And its already winter which began on 1st December.

14 C today though so not very cold.

Hopefully we may have some really cold weather to give me some frozen pipes to repair!

service booked for Tuesday. My partner has been round there and also it says it requires a hearth to be installed. It is a wall hung fire front with fake coals with a glass front that is intact. Floorcovering is carpet. Is this correct?

Hearth is not normally required for glass fronted fires. But check the manufacurers instructions to be sure

From what I recall, if the base tray is => than 4" (100mm to you youngsters), no hearth requuired.

right the boiler/fire front is listed as a Glow Worm Royale 24-6 have asked FL to check and he is saying there is a picture of a hearth but no dimensions. After speaking further it is a photo but no dimensions. Tried explaining that back in the day big fire places were all the rage and if no measurements then may just be like a library picture of what it looks like rather than specs

If it's been installed all that time (hearth)and there no sign of scorching/heat stress, then I'd class it as NCS (not to current standard) but that classification no longer exists and wouldn't think it would be upgraded to whatever the new AR (at Risk) is

service booked for Tuesday. My partner has been round there and also it says it requires a hearth to be installed. It is a wall hung fire front with fake coals with a glass front that is intact. Floorcovering is carpet. Is this correct?

Even if the instructions say you do need a hearth (and I doubt it if above 4"), it would only be classed as NCS. Even if a fire is fitted DIRECTLY on a carpet, with no evidence of staining or scorching, it is only NCS. Althouhg I wouldnt like it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back