Removing gas fire and blocking in back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into getting my old ugly gas fire and surround removed and using the extra wall and floor space for another sofa. however it has a back boiler which would need to be blocked in to allow this.

I know I would have to leave an access point for maintenance etc but would i also need to ensure a vent is put in to allow air flow? or is this just for gas fires themselves?

is it even possible safety wise for the back boiler to be blocked in at all?

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed this is a wind up as no RGI would remove the fire and leave the boiler working.

The fire is part of applinace and must be treated as one unit.

You cannot have the boiler without the fire :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed this is a wind up as no RGI would remove the fire and leave the boiler working.

The fire is part of applinace and must be treated as one unit.

You cannot have the boiler without the fire :rolleyes:

No, and to make matters worse, the fire must stay in place too. The boiler won't be safe without the fire that was designed for use with the boiler...

Sponsored Links
I came across this a few years agoa at a first visit job. New owner had ripped out the fire, fitted a wooden panel to cover the gap and left a letterbox opening where the spigot goes.

They were not happy when I swiftly capped their only heating and hot water source. :LOL: :LOL:

SOme people

One has to assume that you were working on a salaried basis for BG or social housing contractor.

If you were an independent you would not be paid and if you encountered that senario often would be out of business and perhaps out of you home if mortaged.

Did you even ask their permission to turn it off? Or were you with BG who apparently have a policy of not asking?

If you were an independent you would not be paid and if you encountered that senario often would be out of business and perhaps out of you home if mortaged.
What are you on about? Are you saying you would leave an ID situation just to get paid?

Did you even ask their permission to turn it off? Or were you with BG who apparently have a policy of not asking?

If its ID i dont give them the option of saying no. Its capped and then they find out. The other option is transco come and make a more permanent job.

As an independent, I aim to offer solutions, not TOFO !

You are acting ultra vires capping off without asking the customer for his permission first.

Oddly it seems that BG policy encourages that and it appears to be without offering any solution.

Tony

Even if you did source a replacement fire you would still have to TOFO until that fire was fitted. You wouldnt leave it like that.

With regards asking permission to TOFO. We dont have the time to sit there arguing about capping it or having to wait around for transco.

BG policy the same as everyone elses with regards to ID situations. Its the individual that choose's to do it any other way.

Faced with the installation described ANY RGI would have NO CHOICE but to turn off get permission to Cap off and if not granted the the Gas Transporter would Have to be called to cut the supply off then there is RIDDOR - who did the illegal gas work modification???
sometimes you have to "man up" :rolleyes:

Agile..........Yeah BG.

Yeah capped off whilst explaining issue to them.
Only once has someone had an issue..once explaining that upon calling Transco who would shut the whole house off, not just their boiler and they would have to pay for the privalige(sic) of getting it re-instated , they soon came round to my way of working.

All in a good days work. ;)

One has to assume that you were working on a salaried basis for BG or social housing contractor.

Rubbish, It doesn't make any difference if you are independant or working for BG, etc. Faced with this scenario you have no choice but to cap off (with the customers persmission).

As to an indepenadant offering a solution, have you tried to order a replacement BB fire for same/next day delivery? It doesn't happen

You can get them next day, but only if you have an independant showroom.

Having said that, the decorative fires are discontinued, but you can, I think, get the basic radiant fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back