Gas fired back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read the rather heated forum thread about removing the gas fire from a back boiler (see link)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211699

but I am in a similar situation with a rather unsightly 1970's gas fired back boiler ruining the look of a room.

I'm happy to accept that the two need to be used in conjunction with one another, but would it be safe to cover the gas fire up with a radiator cabinet/cover, with lattice work design, thereby still allowing a decent airflow?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
I have seen that done before, and providing the correct free area for ventilating the boiler is provided, then I struggle to find any reason why it can't be done. Having said that, I would never do it myself. I suspect you may get the same answer if you asked the manufacturers. I'll now get off this fence as it's very uncomfortable to sit on. :mrgreen:

Cheers Pete,

When you say you wouldn't do it yourself, is it because you wouldn't be convinced that it would be safe, or for another reason?

Presumably it'd only be a problem if it blocked the air flow, do you know if there is any way of monitoring whether or not there would be sufficient air intake?

Chris.

Probably because whilst its obviously going to be safe, the manufacturers would never agree to anyone fitting it.

As Gas Reg we could be blamed EVEN if we had only advised it on a forum like this if anyone dies from anything connected with it.

So we have to be squeeky clean!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Radiator cover it's full of holes and fine.
I would turn the valve at the back boiler off so only the back boiler can run. I see no safety issue. Afterall they used to make gas fires with wood!!

I would turn the valve at the back boiler off so only the back boiler can run. I see no safety issue. Afterall they used to make gas fires with wood!!

Wrong you will have to measure the free area of any holes slots etc in the radiator cover to make sure the total free area is equal to or greater than the requirement of the back boiler

Wrong you will have to measure the free area of any holes slots etc in the radiator cover to make sure the total free area is equal to or greater than the requirement of the back boiler

:) Most radiator covers I've see are like a sieve. So I'm not going to worry. I'm not counting all those holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back