Safe to have a wooden cover over gas fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody. My first post after finding this forum. Looks very useful, I'm not the greatest DIYer.

My problem is I now own my first house, a little terraced but it's got an ancient back boiler system with the boiler bing in the living room with a double width chimney and an old gas fire in front that also controls the boiler.

It's very old, and very ugly. But there is no way I can affo the £2000-£4000 it would cost to replace our boiler system! I'm doing what I can to make the house feel like home, so my question is this:

I don't use the gas fire, so it is never on. Is it safe to build a vented box cover like one of those lattice radiator covers thats on hooks to easily remove from the wall if the boiler controls are needed? I imagine it would be safe because the fire isn't on, and it would be vented and easily removable, but what do you think?

It would be great to not have this ugly thing there and turn it into a mantelpiece.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've seen this done many times but t is not something that is approved by the manufacturers. Calculations as to how much air is required for combustion and flue dilution need to be considered when fitting these covers.
The positioning and size of the vents in relationship to the back boilers burner is critical for correct operation and is not something I would like to further comment on. It does work but needs a site visit to assess the situation.
Personally, I would not undertake such work.

Many thanks for your reply.
This is what the fire looks like at the moment:
http://db.tt/6XCKf09

Ignore the carpet, I'm about to put laminate down

I would be able to get the airflow to exactly like it is now very easily, so I don't think that would be too much of an issue, but what would be your safety concerns?
Is there another way you could think of to make this look better without spending thousands? I've only got about £3000 to do up the whole house!

Thats an old Gloworm fire and BBU. My only suggestion would be to get the boiler checked for safety and performance by a competent RGI after the cover is fitted.Regarding any other ways to improve the look of it, other than repainting, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advise, much appreciated.
I think that's what I will do. Make a cover with plenty of ventilation. Get a professional round to check it all out, and get a quote for replacement at the same time. Then that should at least make it look nice for Christmas etc and I can save up for a year and hopefully replace the system next year.
I think this boiler system is older than me!
Thanks again

Do the GWs not have the control on the top right for the fire fronts?

Could the FF be a Potterton fire?

Just curious, not splitting hair.

It does have a control for the fire on the top right, and just checked and it is a GlowWorm.
I don't know anything about boilers, but I think it's something I could take on antiques roadshow one day!

Looks like a Glowworm Capricorn.

To answer your question. No, it is absolutely not allowed to be used with a cover over the fire.
Ring Glowworm or Gassafe and see what they say.

Please don't waste your time making a cover. Save whatever you can to get the boiler replaced.

I've seen this done many times but t is not something that is approved by the manufacturers. Calculations as to how much air is required for combustion and flue dilution need to be considered when fitting these covers.
The positioning and size of the vents in relationship to the back boilers burner is critical for correct operation and is not something I would like to further comment on. It does work but needs a site visit to assess the situation.
Personally, I would not undertake such work.

:eek:

After them words of wisdom the OP has decided to:

Thanks for your advise, much appreciated.
I think that's what I will do

Holy **** :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Great, so another year+ of having this ugly thing here :(

Too broke to put in a new system without a lot of saving, earn too much to get any grants!

Do any of you know a company that do monthly payments without being a complete rip off? I don't want to pay massively over the odds for the boiler and work, and then a crazy high APR and pay off forever

Great, so another year+ of having this ugly thing here

Better looking at that than the inside of a coffin lid ;)

If you are wanting to pay monthly you will have to pay over the odds for credit.

A way around it is to use a interest free credit card. You can get 15 months interest free. Depends on your circumstances.

why not think of it as 'retro' and get some 1970s wallpaper and accessories and make a feature of it?

But it deffo needs a safety check.

Open flued appliances can kill if the ventilation fails.

Thanks for all your advise. Not sure I'm going to make a feature of it, but will y and get it replaced as soon as I can with some finance deal or bank loan.
Have any of you heard of this company?
http://heating.carillionenergy.com

They offer 0% interest over a year and interest payments over 3,5, and 10 although at 19% APR.

But one year 0% sounds ok. Have you heard if they are any good? And are they anything like British Gas and charge double what a local company would? No point having 0% over a year if it's going to cost £5K when a local company might only charge £2.5k!

well thanks for your help. I gave up on the idea of a quick fix and have organised with Carillion to replace the boiler and system. I know im paying slightly over what I should, but im getting 0% for a year, and 5 years warranty and servicing so its ok.

As a temporary measure rather than putting a cover over the fire front why dont you take off the casing then remove the chrome bits then spray paint the rest a colour of your choice, my mate did an old Baxi bbu in black & it didnt look 1/2 bad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back