Safe to have a wooden cover over gas fire?

thats a good idea, and it would probably look okish. But seeing as there are a number of other issues with our system and it being so old, Im replacing it now. Ive had enough it it braking down, being noisy, and being costly to run

Sponsored Links
I gave up on the idea of a quick fix and have organised with Carillion to replace the boiler and system. I know im paying slightly over what I should, but im getting 0% for a year, and 5 years warranty and servicing so its ok.

I expect that you will live to regret that decision!

Its difficult for me to understand how people with little money can be tempted to spend too much for a poor quality installation. But then thats what those firms aim to do.

Far better to have a good installation by a local independent paid for with a bank loan if thats essential.

My advice would be to use some of your £3000 and delay other improvements a bit. Thats the cheapest solution of all.

A new boiler will save about 30-40% of the gas consumption. Wearing pullovers another 20%.

Tony

So they really that bad then? I would have though that if they have to fix any problems at their cost then they would do a good enough job?

You have obviously not read some of the complaints on the web about Warmfront/Eaga.

There are quite a few on this site too but mostly searched under Warmfront.

As Carillion have fairly recently taken over Eaga, its not very clear if they have managed to overcome the quality issues there yet.

Sponsored Links
Get an "interest free" (i.e the interest is built into the price)quote from Carillion and another one from a local Gassafe registered installer and compare the prices.

You will probably find that the local man will still work out cheaper, even if you include the cost of borrowing the money from your bank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back