Fault-finding ...Dishwasher involved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
My friend has asked me to have a look at a double-socket. He recons that when he plugs the dishwasher in, the RCD trips. Also, there are signs of heat damage (black) on the socket. So, it could be the dishwasher with a leakage current or a loose connection in the socket.

What is the best way to approach this? I think I should:

1. Plug the D/W into another socket using an extension. If the RCD trips, the problem is with the D/W.
2. If the RCD does not trip above then change-out the socket.

Any other suggestions?

...Also, I only have a multimeter. If there is a leakage current in the D/W, would testing resistance across L/E and N/E (at the plug) show less than Infinity?

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Yes, move the D/W to another socket. Preferably to another socket on a different circuit, in case there is an inherent problem on the first circuit!

The socket must be changed if it is damaged/show signs of stress.

You will not be able to detect insulation resistance/leakage using a standard multimeter. You could try measuring beween the neutral and live to earth of the dishwasher using the highest range (20megohm eg). You should get infinity. Anything less would indicate a problem.

Dont go prodding the house wiring unless u know what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back