Faulty fluorescent light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5” fluorescent light installed in my shed, it has an electronic ballast. Last night I was out in my shed and the light suddenly went off. I flicked the switch off then on and it came back on – this then happened a further 4 times. I noticed that the longer I left it off for, the longer it stayed on again – could this be something to do with heat? The light is a sealed type which can be used outside. I checked the input supply and this was 230V after the light had gone off. I think the tube is a 1.5m T8.

What should I check to fix this fault?

Sponsored Links
How old is the tube, if the tube has failed electronic ballasts will sometimes start it then it will go off after several minutes. I may be wrong but from my experience its probably the tube.

I swapped the tube earlier today with one in an identical fitting in the loft. The problem still occurs in the shed whereas the loft works fine. I guess the fitting is at fault then :(

Sponsored Links
Without stating the obvious: It is warmer this week than it was 2/3 weeks ago. The light only failed this week - maybe it does not like the warm weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back