Faulty Intercom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a faulty telephone door intercom.

I live in a house that was converted into four flats over twenty years ago. The flats use a Urmet intercom system for the door that allow people to buzz the intercom phones in each flat. You can then use the button under the receiver to unlock the main front door.

Recently I've found that the ringer in my intercom phone does not work when the outside button is pressed. However, if I pick up the receiver and then someone tries the outside button the speaker in the handset will make a buzzing noise. The same buzzing noise can be heard from the speaker outside. So I know there is some sort of connection. We can both hear each other talk but it is quite faint. Also, when the button on the telephone is pressed it does not activate the door to unlock.

I have no idea where the cables for this system run. We recently had to deal with a dry rot problem that required the ceiling to be removed and replastered in the outside porch area above the external intercom box. So I can't be sure if the cable to my downstairs flat was disturbed during the work. The other three flats all still work as far as I know.

I'm really not sure what to do. I thought I'd ask on the forum first before I go to the expense of getting an engineer to look at it. I'm not even sure if it's possible to get replacement handsets for systems this old.

If it helps here is a photo of the inside of the telephone intercom. The green wire is not attached. However, the only diagram I could find of a similar system on the web showed all the same connections. So I assume that the green wire was never attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
i cannot give too much advice apart from check all wiring from buzzer to station, if you are in london i can araange a free visit to check for you and offer a solution or repair.
pm me if you want

Thanks for the offer, but I live in Bristol.

It looks like I'll have to get someone out to take a look at it.

to test wiring you can power down first

join two wires such as green and yellow at bell unit and then measure using a multimeter on resisitance you should get a value of around 0 at green and yellow on the station in your flat, obviously your colours will be different but there should be four wire as most intercoms are 4 wires. so you twist two and test and then twist other two and test. hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

I'll see if I can borrow a multimeter off someone.

Hope you find fault, post a reply or pm me should you need any more help.

Did you manage to sort this out?

I have an identical Urmet system on a flat of mine and my previous tenant has kindly smashed it. Can anybody tell me whether I can replace the phone in the flat with a more modern version from another manufacturer and whether it is likely to be compatible with the rest of the Urmet system?

There are normally for wires, 2 for door latch and 2 door for audio, you need to identify these wires and then you should be able to fit another handset. hope this helps.

There are normally for wires, 2 for door latch and 2 door for audio, you need to identify these wires and then you should be able to fit another handset. hope this helps.

There are normally 4 common wires in parallel to all handsets

- speak to door
- common
(these two should ideally be wired as one twisted pair)
- listen from door
- latch release

and one wire from the panel to each handset
- call

Thank you OwainDIYer for going in to detail on wiring configuration.

Fermax do a universal handset that you can use on most systems, also have you tried taking one of the working handsets from the other flat cable it up and see if it works properly

Five for traditional.
Call
Speech to
Speech from
Lock release
Common

Or can be 2 wire or more.

Get your handset on a flylead at the entrance panel, getting the colour coding from another known working handset. If it works you have a cable issue. If not a handset issue.
Get any handset you like TBH and i`ll give you the compatible wiring for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back