Faulty LED downlighters, help!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My father in law lives in a 3 year old new build house, in his dining room there are 5x LED down lighters which have stopped working at once.

I assume these run off a transformer/driver which I'm assuming is the issue.

Where would the transformer be?, I have dropped down each fitting and there is no individual transformer for each light.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My LED's run from 240v no transformer, have you checked the fuse?

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks.
Would there be one breaker for one series of lights, there are other LED's in the kitchen in the next room which are fine?

Is there a dimmer controling these LED lights ? Or a remote controlled switch ? In which case the electronics may have failed.

Maybe the switch has failed.

Or maybe a connection has over time worked loose.

They're not on a dimmer, it's a triple switch and the other 2 are working fine, they control the kitchen led downlighters & the kitchen under-cupboard lights. I've also checked the connection on the switch and that also looks good.

Scratching my head tbh!

Assuming that these are not mains voltage and that builders didn't bury the transformer/driver unit in the ceiling (always possible these days) there ought to be a transformer/driver unit close to the light fittings. Most often, they are just pushed up into the ceiling void through one of the downlight cutouts. Worth checking the vicinity of each cutout. Alternatively, could they have run cabling to the very top of a unit near the ceiling (behind the cornicing and on top of wall cupboard/unit)

and you are who exactly ban-all-sheds!!??
Someone who can read and pay attention to what I read and who understands the value of doing both of those.

There's me thinking this forum was to seek advice, not to get patronised!
And my advice is to get an electrician.

I'm not patronising you - I am observing that you have demonstrated quite clearly that you do not read and you do not pay attention, and IMO those failings are incompatible with electrical work, particularly fault-finding.
But youre incapable of giving ANY advice and happy to read and respond to posts in a negative and condescending manner!?
Please go away and darken someone else's door!

Firstly we have to assume that the electrician has wired the lighting arrangement correctly.
We must also assume that you have checked the switch and the MCB for wiring problems.
Check the body of one of the lights to see if it states 12v or 230v.
For 12v systems there can be any combination of drivers - but since all five lights are out then odds are it is one driver feeding all five lights that has blown.
Remove all five lights from the ceiling and check the type of wiring used. You are hoping for thin two core cable - with any luck you may have pre-fabricated connectors which
connect directly to the driver. Invariably the driver will be within a metre of the light - so feel around in the void if you can. You may also have a break in the power source similar to the 230v system below.
For 230v systems then you have a break in the loop either at the first of the lights on this dining room circuit or from where the power has been sourced, normally a ceiling rose but possibly a switch which has both live and neutral available.
There are by the way other possibilities.

But youre incapable of giving ANY advice
I did give advice.

And I am happy that it is the best advice, in your best interests.

and happy to read and respond to posts in a negative and condescending manner!?
What's condescending about taking note of the fact that you really did demonstrate quite clearly that you do not read and you do not pay attention, and believing that someone like that would be ill advised to start fiddling with lethal voltages?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back