Faulty Mantlepiece Clock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, when the batteries are inserted the second hand jumps back-and-forth on the same second but when you pick the clock up and hold it face down it works fine. As soon as you place it back the second hand sticks again.

I was wondering if anyone would know what it could be before taking it to a jewellers as I really don't want to throw it out,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it that your putting brand new batteries in the clock? If so, it sounds like worn teeth on one of the internal gears.

Hi, Yes I've tried 3 different sets of new batteries and it still does the same thing. Sounds like I won't be able to repair that myself then :(

Jewelers wouldn't waste time with battery movement , would change whole unit, available for pennies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll take it into a shop and see how I get on, Cheers

one of my neighbours owns a clock materials business and very likely sells a movement that your jeweller will buy from him and sell to you at an appropriate profit.

Are you handy? have a look at http://www.gleaveandco.com/clock_movements.html

(this is not spam, I have no connection with the business)

Thanks John, I will have a look inside it and see if anything on that site matches what I've got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back