Faulty Plug Socket any Help Appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Alright so I've got a problem with a plug socket that my tumbledryer was plugged into.

Basically about 30 mins ago the power tripped out, thinking nothing of it I turned it back on just for it to trip again a few moments later...

That's when my Mum told me that the dryer wasn't working any more and that it smelt like burning from the socket, as she went to unplug it she said that it sparked before she'd even touched it?...

I didn't know if the plug or the dryer was at fault so I plugged my phone charger into the socket and that didn't work either, so I think it's the socket that's kaput...

I've done a quick google search and short circuit would be my bet from what I've read... But I'm very poor when it comes to electrics so I don't know.

It mentioned turning the power off at the board and unscrewing the cover to look for obvious damage but like I said my electrical skills are limited and I wouldn't trust myself around it to be honest.

I'm a bit worried incase there are any risks of fire, so I've turned the socket switches off at the wall, but is that enough?

Would it be best to keep the power off at the board until I get it sorted?

Any advice anyone?
Thank You!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I would advise you to switch off the circuit using the circuit breaker that tripped earlier and get an electrician tomorrow to replace the socket and check the wiring.

If you have a fridge or freezer on the same circuit you will have to run an extersion lead to a socket that works.

Regards,

DS

Hi, I would advise you to switch off the circuit using the circuit breaker that tripped earlier and get an electrician tomorrow to replace the socket and check the wiring.

If you have a fridge or freezer on the same circuit you will have to run an extersion lead to a socket that works.

Regards,

DS

I believe all the sockets are on the same circuit as I'm yet to find one that still works when I've turned the circuit off. That's not a problem though, the fridge and freezers don't have much left in them anyway so I'll bin the food that's left.

Thank you for the reply!

Do you have an electric cooker ? There is sometimes a socket on the cooker control unit ( switch).

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Its possible you have both a MAIN rcd trip as well as CIRCUIT mcb trips

If its the MAIN rcd your turning off then your possibly turning off more than is neccessary.

Is the trip your turning off labeled as to what it does or have any letters/ numbers stamped on it.

Something like B20 B32 C20 C32

the fridge and freezers don't have much left in them anyway so I'll bin the food that's left.
You didn't necessarily have to do that.
  1. Food will stay frozen for quite some time if the door isn't opened.
  2. Contrary to popular belief refreezing food which has defrosted is not hazardous, as long as it hadn't really warmed up and started to spoil. The quality might be affected though.
  3. When all else fails, you can cook food which has defrosted, and extend its life a while longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back