Favourite Song from the 80s

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Tears for fears, everybody wants to rule the world...............but lots of others .
Are you guys like me and remember some of the best days of your life ,where you was and with whom and the song out then reminds you of that period and somehow even though they are not that good you actually say they are because they was playing then,,,,,,,,,,,,or is it just me?

davy_owen_88 said:
Scarified - Racer X

joe-90 said:
The 80s was the era that style forgot
Maybe so, but the 80's was the start of heavy metal and that point alone saves the entire decade ;)

Woh wohwoh woh. And who started heavy metal? Not Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath then?

notb665 said:
Woh wohwoh woh. And who started heavy metal? Not Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath then?

Jimi Hendrix - definitely not
Led Zepplin - Heavy metal?! Hard rock at the most.
Black Sabbath - I suppose they did plant the seeds of heavy metal, but the 80's was when it kicked off and became what most people consider heavy metal as now. Black Sabbath just pushed everything down a notch on the 'heavy-o-meter' :LOL:

davy_owen_88 said:
notb665 said:

Jimi Hendrix - definitely not
Led Zepplin - Heavy metal?! Hard rock at the most.
Black Sabbath - I suppose they did plant the seeds of heavy metal, but the 80's was when it kicked off and became what most people consider heavy metal as now. Black Sabbath just pushed everything down a notch on the 'heavy-o-meter' :LOL:

Who invented distortion? Who invented the power chord? Who used the intervals b2 and b5 in the riffs?

Well Iron Maiden started NWBHM (new wave of british heavy metal) and notb665 I bet you knew that with your nickname? Number Of The Beast 665 the bloke next door?

notb665 said:
Who invented distortion? Who invented the power chord? Who used the intervals b2 and b5 in the riffs?

I'm willing to bet thousands of pounds that Jimi wasn't the first to do any of those things. He is just the guy that everyone thinks of for changing the way guitar was played. I personally think he was a load of overrated toss and many of the things he did was already being done, just not in the 'in-your-face' way that he did it which is why everyone remembers him for those things.

Also, power chords and distortion doesn't make heavy metal. Nowadays punk rock is just distortion and power chords yet they couldn't be further from heavy metal.

As a guitar teacher I may or may not agree with what I've and you've put here.

OK, so, what does make heavy metal?

hondacrm said:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths

Happy Days! :D

Oh, come on "how soon is now?" is way better.
Love Like Blood - Killing Joke
Yeah, I like Fiction Factory too :D
Crash - The primatives.
Forever live and die - OMD (very underrated in the 80's IMHO
Maid of Orleans - As above.

Some of my Fave's - Never really got into much of the 90's stuff much, didn't like rap house garage etc.

Sponsored Links
Back