FCU behind panel in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a switched FCU supplying a heated towel rail permitted in a bathroom if it's behind a fixed panel (used to hide supply pipes to shower)?

Having looked at the bathroom electrics guide (NICIEC) in the reference section the closest scenario seems to be that the 'space under bath is "outside zones" if only accessible with a tool'. The panel in question is located in zone 2 and requires the removal of 4 screws to gain access behind it.

If it was a new installation then I wouldn't put it there but I'd prefer not to have to move it unless I have to. Would an IP rated FCU be a possible solution as appearance isn't an issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The switch should be accessible for maintenance and emergency isolation - preferably outside the bathroom, or outside zones (not under the bath though) - I doubt the location you describe - behind a fixed panel - is adequate for "accessible"

What would it take to put it in Z3 or outside?

Where is the airing cupboard? Is there one??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

No great place to reposition the FCU outside the bathroom as it is located alongside the stairs. No real option of moving into Z3 either as the bathroom is v. small.

Would making the panel more accessible (e.g. magnetic catches rather than screws) be an option? Personally I reckon I could undo 4 screws faster than I could clear out all the bedding, towels and other cr@p that generally gets shoehorned into an airing cupboard.

I'll try and find a routable location outside the bathroom this weekend as that's seeming like the way it's going to have to go. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back