Feather edge fence 1st time

Sponsored Links
Nice - but it is normally accepted that the fair face would be presented to the neighbour's garden, rather than your's. No rules about it, but that would be the norm.

excellent really neat job bet your pleased with the results

i do hope you have "pinched" the adjacent board to avoid splitting
in other words you have a nail in one edge and the other is pinched behind the edge off the next board allowing movement so only one nail hole across the width

when i asked the people who supplied the fencing they told me to nail through the board so that the nail goes into the thin part of the one behind.
in other words 1 nail through 2 boards
thats what i done :?:

Sponsored Links
Looks good!
Can I ask you how long it took you? And do you think this is a job a total novice could take on?
I need to replace 17 6'x6' fence panels, plus gate, in the back garden (a public walkway is behind). I eventually also need to replace the front of house fences too.
Looking expensive! Hense thinking about DIY.
Would you recommend a particular type of fence panel? I have been looking at the cheap lap panels at approx £17 each, but are they a false economy and am I better off going with a more expensive type?
Any other hints and tips appreciated.
Thanks!

when i asked the people who supplied the fencing they told me to nail through the board so that the nail goes into the thin part of the one behind.

as it expands and contracts you will get splits around the nails

have a look at fences you pas and see if they are overlap or nail through both and look to see which slats crack and split

Looks good!
Can I ask you how long it took you? And do you think this is a job a total novice could take on?
I need to replace 17 6'x6' fence panels, plus gate, in the back garden (a public walkway is behind). I eventually also need to replace the front of house fences too.
Looking expensive! Hense thinking about DIY.
Would you recommend a particular type of fence panel? I have been looking at the cheap lap panels at approx £17 each, but are they a false economy and am I better off going with a more expensive type?
Any other hints and tips appreciated.
Thanks!

its not hard, it can be hard work but im a big bloke, my ground was good too.
worked out about £20 per metre, about £500, could have done it for about £420 if i looked about a bit more.
all i can say is don't do it cheap with cheap panels as that will be false economy.
in my picture i used 4" x 4" posts, dont use 3" x 3"

watch videos on youtube, pick a design you like
i ran a string the full length of the garden so the panels were straight (i did cock one of the posts up and it did put the fence out slightly)

I made quite a few mistakes, but only i know ;)

as it expands and contracts you will get splits around the nails

have a look at fences you pas and see if they are overlap or nail through both and look to see which slats crack and split

will keep a check on them, nothing i can do now, i just went what the guy told me in the fence place. :)

its not a criticism in the least
you've put your heart and soul into it and you have done an excellent job that anyone would be proud off

generally you don't point out things when its to late as it can be seen as unesisery comments but because a thread will be read by many tens if not thousands off people its worth mentioning at risk off seeming "unfriendly" :D

its not a criticism in the least
you've put your heart and soul into it and you have done an excellent job that anyone would be proud off

generally you don't point out things when its to late as it can be seen as unesisery comments but because a thread will be read by many tens if not thousands off people its worth mentioning at risk off seeming "unfriendly" :D
Yeah I know, would rather help others like you mention. :D

Nice - but it is normally accepted that the fair face would be presented to the neighbour's garden, rather than your's. No rules about it, but that would be the norm.
Mehh, sod that!

Interesting point about delibratly avoiding going through the thin edge with the nail, to allow expansion. I didnt do this on my feather edged gate (12*6ft gate, diy made frame, boarded by reusing the fence panels) and so far its looks like it did when I made it 8months ago.

Daniel

Interesting point about delibratly avoiding going through the thin edge with the nail, to allow expansion. I didnt do this on my feather edged gate (12*6ft gate, diy made frame, boarded by reusing the fence panels) and so far its looks like it did when I made it 8months ago.

Daniel

your gate was built after the summer months when the wood had a low moisture [hopefully] so you may be ok as it shrinks through the dry summer months
wet timber can shrink by several mm or around 5 to 10% across its width so if its nailed both edges it has no option but to crack

wood that is pinned tight when dry will tend to spring as the expansion has no where to go

I'm a long way from loosing sleep over it, and as you said, it was well seasoned wood (some of verging on being past reuse even!) but interesting non the less.

Daniel

I appreciate this is old but interested to see wht posts you used?

I'm doing similar but think I cocked up using 3 x 3 and only gone 500 deep?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back