Feature wall chimney walls. In the loft brick work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I got a question,

I want to keep the feature wall upstairs the brick work arch.

My question is it's very sooty, dirty.. i cant regrout it as i have plasterboard the room!

What can i do to clean it all, any solvents, or brick sleants ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the, presumably, chimney breast.
Does the c/breast still exist below on the ground floor?
Has the flue been swept?

Here you go.

I was thinking vacuum, brush, vacuum.

Some washing up liquid and cloth, dry and then varnish in clear ?

Attachments

• IMG_20170417_073555197.jpg
    IMG_20170417_073555197.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 585
Are you referring only to the brickwork below the arch or the whole wall of brickwork including the arch?
The back wall below the arch is either a gable wall or a party wall.
Dont use any liquids to clean off the brickwork esp. any sooty areas.
A heavy duty wire brush, & then a stiff scrubbing brush (& vacuum if you like) would be best.

Whatever you mean by "grout" I dont understand - but re-pointing in sand & lime mortar will cause no difficulties.

Sweep & smoke test the flues and provide through ventilation.
Have the external chimney stack inspected for determining its condition.

Varnish on brick often looks terrible after a short time, and can sometimes react with chemicals and look to be in tatters.
Its a very 1970's failed idea.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I rather not repoint because of the mess it would cause now. All the dust will go everywhere.

The word i was looking for was pointing but came out with grout!

So after i have cleaned the brick work, do you know of a way of sealing it.

I already have one flu liner that has been installed, the other one will be installed next few weeks.

I assume the top of the chimney stack is fine.

That looks great, we are looking to do the same with ours but to insulate the alcoves.

IMG_0259.JPG

Hi Ian,

I will need to insulate the alcoves as such, it's a bco requirement.

My plan is to have a wardrobe built and fitted inside.

What you will end up with is the outside of the chimney visible but the rest hidden.

Best not waste any space you create!

Hi Ian,

I will need to insulate the alcoves as such, it's a bco requirement.

My plan is to have a wardrobe built and fitted inside.

What you will end up with is the outside of the chimney visible but the rest hidden.

Best not waste any space you create!

Here is my before and after photo of the chimney in my attic conversion which i finished in 2012.

I ground out the pointing and repointed. Then i cleaned the bricks with soapy water i think and a stiff brush plus a tough cloth. Not sure if the cleaning actually did anything.

The final treatment is linseed oil or danish oil. Both seem the same. I got mine from tool station: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...0/Interior+Wood+Care/sd3151/Danish+Oil/p13155

Use white spirit with the oil to make it go further. Not 50/50 split, more like 70/30 with the solvent just helping to thin the oil out a touch.

The bricks haven't needed any re treatment since.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg

Very fresh cowshit is alleged to remove soot from brick or stonework, though I've not tried it myself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back