fed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I m 27 and have been doing the 2330 electrical installation certificate for 7 months of an evening. Every effort I have made to be taken on so far has ended in nothing.

Companys just ignore me when I send my c.v. How does the government expect to address the skills shortage when it makes no leeway for older people. Why should I bother when noone will give me the chance to better myself?

Sponsored Links
finished 236 part 1 and 2, and 16th ed at evenings in college.

no-one would take me on for almost a year.

tried to find government schemes/places for experience.
job centres and all "official"places were a total waste of time.

in the end, someone i'd met, saw someone who knew someone....
and i got some work.
thing was, college was so sh1t that, despite my "distinctions", i couldnt do the job anyway.

luckily the bloke kept hold of me, i felt like a labourer for a few months.
but stuck it out and am getting there.

Just keep at it. Grab the opportunity when it comes.
Dont expect much help from colleges/employment avisors/etc

good luck

double 22 said:
luckily the bloke kept hold of me, i felt like a labourer for a few months.
That's all you are, really, at first and you have to be prepared to do the dirty work. If you're a quick learner and reliable, life should improve...

...but then of course, you'll leave and set up on your own, which is one of the reasons small firms are wary of taking anybody on.

Sponsored Links
There is no skills shortage. It's propaganda by the government so they have an excuse for unlimited immigration. If there was a skills shortage Electricians would be earning lots of money.

ryanw

first, a qualification isnt much if you have no work experience.

second, if you wrote your cv like your post, you would be ignored, learn to spell and spellcheck.

third, im ****ed so i cant find the caps key on this portable im borrowing, so that explains why its in lower, but if i was applying for a job i would make sure it was perfect.

finally, why should they hire you, and your not old at 27........

Don't abondon all hope.

The company I work for took on a 37 year old apprentice, who had completed his first year at college, but had no site experience at all.

He has been more of an asset than many of the 16 year old school leavers we have employed over the years.

whats your day job?

i would asume that you earn more in the day than a labrador or electrical improver

but £60 a week and carrying all the tools is all part of the apprentaship bro
i worked in tesco at night to do my course in the day for 6 months, then jumped on with a builder, and then to a big ferm

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back