Feed and expansion / vent pipe round the wrong way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

While doing some work in my loft I noticed the 22mm pipe from the main flow of the boiler is plumbed into the bottom of the feed and expansion tank and the 15mm f/e pipe is just capped off, is this the wrong way round and what effect will this have on the system?

Sponsored Links
It's an old Thorn Apollo boiler, myson pump and 3 way diverter valve with a small tank in the loft. I think it's called a fully pumped 2 pipe system.

Sounds like a primatic sysyem. I saw one of them last yr but this did not have an expansion pipe. An old system but did function with no problems.

Sponsored Links
Whoops, should have mentioned house is 20 years old so system is around the same age, there is 2 cold water tanks in loft as well as small tank and pipework is all 15mm or 22mm.

it may have been altered in the past for pumping over/air ingress,as long as the combined feed and vent has a clear path from the boiler flow it should be alright but it is not the preferred way.plumbers way of avoiding problems this was a common get out on this boiler as it was a low water content

Yes it's just a combined feed and vent in 22mm.....fine. Could have been done because the system was pulling in air.

Hey Big Thanks for the swift replies, I am right in thinking then it is a normal fully pumped system, as opposed to primatic, the cylinder is indirect

Thanks, the system seems quite noisy, I don't expect it to be silent at 20 years old but there seems to be a lot of like running water or air noise coming from the pipework in the airing cupboard around the pump and 3 way valve although when bled there is no air in rads or pump etc, any ideas?

could be air/crap/debris.all high points should be vented try adding a gentle chemical cleaner and leave circulating then in the spring flush it out. this could cause other probs.you could try turning the pump down,again this may cause problems seek advice from someone who can see and hear the noises and give you advice it sounds like you need the advice of a competent pro which will cost good luck:cool:

there is a stubby valve with a cover looks like you need an oversized rad bleed key to turn it its in like a link pipe between the flow and return, it's fully closed by the look of it, is that what you meant?, Cheers, Shane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back