Feeding draw rope into ducting

Something long heavy and point. a pointy SDS chisel for example, wrap bricklayers line around and tape up with gaffa tape pulled very tight. Lay duct out in a straight line, drop weight in one end and walk the length of the pipe keeping it raised by feeding it over your shoulder so the weight is constantly dropping forward in front of you.

*edit* Mulling it over, this would probably work whilst still coiled up, chuck it in and roll it along. Although the weight needn't be so long as it might get stuck in the bend.

Thios works - used the same method with 2" wavin duct for a water supply.

Sponsored Links
Dragging the rope in as you lay the ducting is the best method if the duct is sectional the compressed air method or a cobra rod is the way if it's a continuous duct.

Back fill the fill the trench before attempting to put the cable in otherwise it will be a night mare

I don't own a compressor but I do have a vacuum cleaner, it will pull a string that far in seconds.

methinks I see a gadget idea for dragons den... :)
something with 3 or 4 spring loaded tracks and either a long cord for power or battery powered..
Hmm.

When the alternative is being able to tell the wife that this is actually an essential tool, not a toy?

1_5_Gas_RC_Car.jpg

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just for those who don't believe in hose pipes - done it lots of times, it works because the rag (or ball etc) is both lubricated and pushed slowly and it doesn't matter about it being straight or coiled - although it must be coiled 'downhill' or then you will get wet.
Submarines and ships are often wired using small animals, but I think they need an odour or light at the end.

Do you know anyone who keeps pet ferrets? (If Qi is to be believed, that's a fairly common solution in industry.)

A tried and tested method in the old days of the GPO for pulling draw wires along phoneline ducting.
Starve the animal overnight, smear the inside edge of the duct exit with its favourite food and feed the animal in at the other end with a thin draw cord tied to its collar/waist.
It does work!

I know its an old thread but I have just installed a 25mm concentric armoured cable into a 50mm duct and a 50pair comms cable & a 6 fibre cable into the other approx 120m long.
The redline in this: //media.diynot.com/125000_124249_41986_80215802_thumb.jpg indicates the Gas & Water pipes and Power & comms ducts as laid by the main contractor of a new building.
Henry hoover was used to get a thin string [brickies line] through first then 2 lengths of 8mm poly ropes [BT draw rope] used to pull the well lubed cables through.

It took an hour total for 2 of us to get the string and then ropes in and one to feed and 4 to pull the cables in, including unloading and setting up cable jacks etc.

I don't own a compressor but I do have a vacuum cleaner, it will pull a string that far in seconds.
That is the best way to do it.

Using light weight string a Henry type vacuum cleaner I pulled in over a 100 metres of cordage in about a minute, as fast as it could be feed in to the end of the duct it got sucked through.

/125000_124249_41986_80215802_thumb.jpg indicates the Gas & Water pipes and Power & comms ducts as laid by the main contractor of a new building.

No picture. Can you use the method to show the pic in your post? See forum rules for details.

/125000_124249_41986_80215802_thumb.jpg indicates the Gas & Water pipes and Power & comms ducts as laid by the main contractor of a new building.

No picture. Can you use the method to show the pic in your post? See forum rules for details.
Sorry long time since I've done this, hopefully this works & with a slightly better sketch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back