Fees for drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to get a 5m x 3m single storey sunroom to our house. Sloped roof, vaulted ceiling, 2 roof windows, 1 set of french doors, 1 other window and a concrete floor.

Does anyone know an approx figure as to how much an architect would charge for doing the drawings.

I've been told that if I can get the original plans for the house from the council (apparently I#m entitled to them as long as I pay the fee), the cost would be less.

So I'd appreciate if anyone can provide two approx prices. One assuming I did manage to get the existing plans from the council, and one if I didn't.

Many thanks.
Gavin.

Sponsored Links
Waste of time and money getting a fully fledged Architect to do a job like this. Get an Architectural Technician to do it instead. Look under Architectural Technicians or Architectural Services in Yell. Unless your house was built very recently it may be quite challenging to get the plans/eles from the council. Some councils have good Archives some do not! I'd probably charge say about £500-600 for Planning including a survey. I'd probably knock off £100 if you had supplied me with usable existing plans/eles and no survey was required. Depends how big/complex your house is frankly, bigger house means more drawing etc etc. That would also assume its not within a conservation area or is listed or other oddity in which case a design & access statement would be required in which case I'd charge about another £50-£100 for that.

The local Authority fee for Planning Permission is £150.

Are you sure you can't just do it under Permitted Development though?
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonextensionreal/ even so it may be prudent to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development.

If you wanted Building Regs drawings I'd probably charge a similar amount.

Yes I'm an Architectural Technician BTW.

Sponsored Links
The local Authority fee for Planning Permission is £150.

yours is a damn sight cheaper than ours then! £335 is what we just paid for planning permission and the architect was £1,100 for a new 2 bed house
I'd be more in that region for fees for a brand new house, there's a lot more work involved so that fee sounds ok to me.

In terms of that Planning Fee the £150 is for a 'Householder Application' and would apply to any domestic extension across England.

£335 is the minimum fee you would pay for a 'Full Planning Application' ie a new house or extension to a commercial building not a house extension.

Local Authority Planning Fees are largely the same across England.

Back