fence fell over - repair spurs any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 posts broke recently with some high winds. Looks pretty much like they were rotten below the ground as that is where they have broken off clean.

Therefore, I'm left with 1 panel intact and attached to the 2 broken posts and 1 panel on the end of them which was ripped off a post still solidly in the ground.

The posts were set in concrete and it's going to be impossible to dig another hole to add a support to them so I was wondering if these repair spurs are any good?

Also, is it an option to get a completely new post and attach everything? I think it might be difficult to get the rotten posts out of the ground...

Sponsored Links
You are now in the right frame of mind to resolve never to use wooden posts in the ground again...

Concrete spurs are quite good, and if well-installed, you can fit new wooden posts to them later.However you have spotted the problem, there is probably a barrowful of concrete round those useless rotted stumps, and it is an awful job to get it out.

If you only have two (so far) you could entertain yourself for a day or so getting it out. You will probably have to break it up and lift out the pieces. This will leave you with a big hole and some loose earth so you will need even more concrete to refill :cry: It is important to have strength at right-angles to the run of fence, since that is the way the wind will push them.

Be aware that the other wooden posts will doubtless do the same, in time.

This is why, when replacing a fence, people usually put the new posts in a different place to the old.

If you want to use slotted concrete posts, you can paint then with dark brown masonry paint to make them blend in with the timber. It is easiest to do this before fixing.

That's the problem - I can't put the post in a new position as they were set in concrete surrounded by a whole load of other concrete (essentially a patio!)

I could dig out all the rotten wood but like you say this will take ages.
So you mean dig out the rotten wood, get some new posts, put them in the old concrete setting, and then top it up with some fresh concrete to make sure it's stable again?

With the repair spurs, I mean ones similar to these:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...01&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=597180
Any good as a quick and cheap bodge ?

I don't like the steel ones, I was thinking of concrete spurs. I suppose it could work.

However...

It is possible (I have only done it once, in a similar position to yours) to pull out the old timber from the concrete that was cast round it (with lots of drilling and chiselling) and slide a concrete spur into the hole, packing it round with fine dry mix. You can also get a cast-in socket that could be done the same way.

I suppose if you can pull out the old stump, you could even slide in a new wooden post, with a bit of planing down if need be. But I hate wooden posts because they rot off.

I really think you are going to have to hire something to break up or core out that lump of concrete. I don't envy you...

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's similar. The ones with sloping tops throw off the rain better (especially when painted) which slows down their deterioration.

I find the steel ones don't go in straight, and as the socket is quite short, the posts tend to move around.

Thanks for the help.
BTW one thing I just thought of that might stop us using the concrete spur is that it will essentially shift the post 5-10cm into the neighbour's "territory". I know it's not much but the alleyway either side on these properties doesn't have much space anyway.
This probably leaves me with the
- steel spur option or
- the digging everything out and replacing the whole post.
Guess I jus have to lump it! :(

Get a cheapo £30 ish sds drill with hammer action and chisel bit. Will still take a while but nothing more than an hour or two.
I had a result the other day, a post that was concreted 18 inches in came up in one, I just grabbed the rotten stump and pulled. It left a perfect 4" square hole in the concrete which I'll widen slightly and re-use.

i hate the steel metpost ones, never go in straight, and never as strong as setting them in concrete. If you are putting it over a patio you can use the metal shoes that sit on top of the surface and bolt into the concrete. I dont like the look of them, but they are one of the few things metal things that work.

If not then either take the entire lump of concrete out, or dig out around where the old post is, set the new one in and concrete it into the old lump of concrete. should be able to do quite easily if you use a kango or sds. Thats how we do the fence repairs when the odd post or panel has gone.

A decent timber post should still give you plenty of life.

DrGonzo said:
Do they look like this?
http://www.gardenadventure.co.uk/detail.php?id=72&catid=14

Out of interest, are the steel ones not strong enough or is it that they're more of a temporary solution ?

From that site:

"Concrete spur used either as a "fix" or from original construction where there are concerns over wood longevity"

Annoyingly, in our garden the wooden posts outlived the concrete spurs. :rolleyes:

I thought I would share with you what happened when I had to repair/replace a rotten fence post.

The concrete was stable but the post had broken just above this.

So I decided to try and dig the rotten piece out.
Now only having a long screwdriver,an ordinary hammer and a garden fork to use as purchase ,it wasn't long before I knew it was going to be a long/tough job :evil:

(if you do not bang the screwdriver in far enough,using the garden fork to lever it............the damn thing flies off anywhere :oops:)

Eventually I succeeded,the concrete hole had contracted a bit on the rotten post,so when I came to bang the new post in,it was as tight as a mouse's earhole :)

Just such a pity that the post I had bought for replacement was too short :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back