Fence height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of our garden is a lane between our house and the back gardens of the next street up. As we are on a hill, those houses overlook our garden. The back lane is only used for the dustbin lorries to come and empty the bins every 2 weeks. We already have a fence that is 2 metres high on the back wall. Are we able to extend that higher so that the people opposite are unable to see into our garden?

Sponsored Links
You would need Planning...

“if it would be over one metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over two metres high elsewhere”

Plant a hedge or fix trellis?
But if there's a biggish hill then you'll need the heck of a high fence so hedge is probably the best bet

Sponsored Links
Bamboo makes a nice tall hedge, is fast growing, and doesn't come under the high hedges legislation. Just make sure you get the right species - some grow in clumps others spread like anything.

Is it a highway? Doesn't sound like it.

I didn’t say it was but only quoted the advice from the PP. It’s up to the OP to determine whether or not it’s a highway.

However, the fact the PP states “a highway used by vehicles” and the OP stated the lane is used by dustbin lorries suggests to me it is counted as such. If it was a private lane with no vehicle access then that’s different.

Just because the dustmen use it does not mean is a public highway. How do you thing they access all the homes on private roads on estates?

I didn’t mention the word ‘public’.

“A highway may be a private road as long as it is one over which the public has a right to pass and repass.”

Irrespective if the road/lane is a highway, public or not and as there is already a fence at 2m high, Planning would be required anyway.

You would need Planning...

“if it would be over one metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over two metres high elsewhere”
That was how I understood it ,Planning required for fence over 2m in height. Doesn't matter whether it is bamboo, trellis or whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back