Fence installation - what do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m trying to plan ahead and would be grateful for any advice.

I have a brick wall in my garden and planning to put up a 6’ x 4’ overlap fence on it. The wall is 4ft high and width of a brick, c.220mm and about 11m (36ft) long. I know this would take my wall height to over 2m so I would need planning permission. Just want to weigh out my options.

Is it advisable to use 4” wooden posts with bolt down fence post supports (the metal ones) to erect the fence? If the fence was sitting directly on top of the wall on one half of width, would this cause any issues in terms of stability, safety, etc?

In the event of not getting PP, what would be the best way to put up 4ft fence (half up, half down to meet 2m rule)? Ideally, would prefer a solid fence rather than 2ft trellis. (My friend has a few spare 4ft fence which I can have, hence why wanting to use 4ft high fence).

Many thanks,
P.s. I live in busy city in England so privacy is hard to come by.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would apply for pp before doing any planning or buying any materials

I can't see a 10' high fence getting planning permission if you have neighbours as you would be blocking their view and light getting into their gardens and house

I would also consider neighbourly relations , what would they think if you stuck up a massive fence? Especially as they would still be able to see into your garden anyway from an upstairs window

As the majority of people can't see over a 6' fence I would stick with that

Also putting a 6' fence (sail)on a 4' brick wall and only bolting it to the top tier of bricks is guaranteed to bring it all crashing down when there's a storm

If you were building from scratch, you could install metpost sockets in the foundation and replace posts as they rot. No load on the bricks
I don't think the wall would be safe as you plan- you could build a fence next to the wall.
Would it be possible to cut the wall with a cutter to break it into sections, leaving 4" gaps? Then add metposts bolted to the ground in the gaps?

My fence at home is a 12" half buried gravel board. Then a 5 foot panel, topped by an 18" bow topped trellis
Once a few climbers get established, you'll get 8 feet of privacy

Oh forgot to add have you checked your deeds to see who's wall it is you are planning to make taller ?

If your neighbours are responsible for it you would have to ask them permission before making changes to it

It's not a bad idea to have a chat with them anyway about what you're planning - gauge there reaction

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

If putting up 4ft high fence on top of wall would cause safety issues, then I won't go down that route. Storms seem to be more frequent nowadays than 10years ago.

It's not that I want to be un-neighbourly, but as I'm going to have 4ft fence panels I thought I could use them to their max height (with PP). However, 2m is compliant and would mean I keep neighbour relations.

How can I still use the 4ft fence panels up to 2m height? I have a paving slab floor and no soft ground below wall.

Thanks again

My house is rented (including neighbours) so would need to go via landlord which could be a long process.

Happy to just go up to 6ft/2m height but still using the 4ft high fence panels.

Basically you're gonna struggle, it's very difficult to put two boards together to make one 6' one

You could stand then on end but that will look silly to me

Right now I'm struggling to think how you could use these boards without cutting them down to 2' and sticking then on top of your wall but that would still give you safety issues

6' by 6' boards and posts bolted to the existing wall would work but that at a rough estimate would set you back about 200 quid

I'll have a look at reed screening. I'm also thinking a very close weave trellis.

Thanks sircerebus666 and Tigercubrider for your replies. It's given me lots to think about.

Fence post secured in metal supports sat on top of a wall will suffer in strong winds.

How about fence posts coach screwed to your side of the wall. Don't need to go in the ground and screwed to the side of the wall, will be better held.

full

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for your reply DIYspanner !

Presumably, the posts that stick out past the height of the wall would be 2ft? So I can fit 2ft high panels to them making them 6ft in total?

Thanks for the diagram.

Fence post secured in metal supports sat on top of a wall will suffer in strong winds.

How about fence posts coach screwed to your side of the wall. Don't need to go in the ground and screwed to the side of the wall, will be better held.

full
I used to have that arrangement and a storm blew the fence, causing the wall to fail. Granted my fence was taller and this hopefully wont be an issue if your fence is only 2 feet high
full

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'd suggest running the posts down the wall to about 4" off the bottom so they don't get in the way when pressure washing the slabs. The posts above the wall to whatever height fence you decide on. Which side of the posts you fix the fence panels is best discussed with your neighbour. If they're on the wall side, they can sit on the wall and take a bit of strain of the posts.

full

full

Taking into consideration the collapsing wall mentioned above, perhaps some brick columns added to your side of the wall but for that, you need a bricky's input.

There's a lot of photos on Goole. Just type in 'fence on wall' and click images.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back