Fence post base protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some 3"x6" post to replace. The bases have rotted.

Is it worth wrapping bins liners around the base up to about 6" above the soil?

I've seen some post wrap products online but a pack of bin liners from Lidl is only a couple of quid.

Sponsored Links
I doubt it.
soaking in a bucket of old engine oil might be better.

The best thing would be to ensure that soil doesn't gather around the bases and maybe bring the concrete up a bit, sloped so rainfall doesn't gather.

a bin liner may collect water and increase rate of rotting.

either buy the proper post boots or bitumen flashband works well -it will increase the lifespan quite a bit.

Thanks folks!

I'll go for the engine oil option since I have some old sitting in a 20L tub. Fence is 5' 7" so will get 8' posts since 2' will be sunk into the ground and will coat with oil up to about 6" above the soil. Can't do any higher as the other side of the fence is a communal walkway.

I've looked at prices for fence paint, £4.50 for 5L tubs of Wilco brand and £9.99 for 9L tubs of Ronseal at Screwfix.

Sponsored Links
If you want to, you can buy more durable posts. Either with a better preservative, or a more rot resistant species of timber.

Better to thin the oil with diesel or central heating oil so wood can absorb it easier but guess wouldnt go down too well with environmentalist though?

just put concrete posts in.

If you care, you can blend them in with the stained fence by treating them with matt masonry paint. It's easier to do that before installing, and touch up any chips later. if you add concrete gravel boards it will save a lot of effort and annoyance later on. Digging out rotten fence posts is a very tiresome job, especially when they are next to a path.

I rarely concrete posts but much prefer to concrete a suitable size drainage pipe in the ground and ram chipping to firm the post,
The post is less likely to rot but easy to get out if it does..

Well the old posts are set in concrete and I've watched a few videos on YT on how to remove the post stubs with jacks and levers and such forth.

Well how about leaving the concrete foundation in, drilling out the post stub with a long auger?
Just two row of holes, from side to side so I end up with the stub in 1/4s and pull them out.

Drop the new post in. I can plane a tad off the new post then back fill the slight gap with sand to firm the post.

Well how about leaving the concrete foundation in, drilling out the post stub with a long auger?
Just two row of holes, from side to side so I end up with the stub in 1/4s and pull them out.

I got that to work, once.

I sat out post in 1 foot diameter holes and packed with gravel.

Fence is solid and easy to remove of they do eventually rot.

Had 40 posts to replace but wasn't bad when I got going, bought a petrol auger!.

I tried to remove some of the oringinal posts but time wise it was much quicker working from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back