Fence "posts"

D

daneski88

This is proving to be an excellent site, so I hope that you don't mind me expanding my wings onto here.

Between myself and next door there is a section of perimeter which is currently a hedge - about 4 metres to be exact. Next year I hope to remove this section and replace it with featheredge fencing, together with a plastic roof section on top. Instead of using timber uprights I was toying wth the idea of using scaffolding poles which are already zinc coated, and onto which I can bolt or screw horizontal arris rails for the featheredge boards (up to 6 foot in height) and perspex "filled" trellis (for light and to avoid the 6' height regulation rule) on top of this. The roof will thus be supported on top of all of this hopefully robust construction.

Can anyone provide any possible advice and potential pitfalls withe regard to this intended construction?

Sponsored Links
why? a timber post will be stronger and a damn sit e easier to fix to.

I was thinking of three things:
1. Strength - the overall height including roofing frame will be about 3 metres and I am of the mind that metal will be stronger to hold the fence and roof together

2. Size/appearance - I would guess that timber uprights will need to be 4 inch square instead of 2 inch diameter

3. Longevity - will zinc coated metal tubes last significantly longer than timber?

Thank you for your input Thermo and I welcome criticism of my intentions since that is why I posted my thoughts on here :!:

can you post a sketch of what you are trying to achieve?

Sponsored Links
I will try to post a picture although my scanner has decided to send me a connection error. Don't wait up LOL

yes and perspex isnt going to get around that, from the sound of it youre getting into the realms of a garden structure

OK - so it may be worth giving the council a call then. Scanner still not working, but I'll get there in the end. Thanks for hanging on fo me :)

this "roof section" you intend to put on top? is this going to be some sort of lean to or some sort of pergola type thing then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back