fence top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideas sought on best method on making curved top fence panel like the ones sold in Wickes/B&Q etc known as Bristol Trellis Top Panel.
I have been making my own panels on and off for about 30 years using timber direct from saw mill.I have three options, steam the wood or make out of thin section and bend on former, or chop and rout out of wider board and waste plenty. The commercial ones appear to be made from multiple thin sections possibly glued using Cascamite or similar.What are the chances of these sections staying together year after year.

Sponsored Links
the ones from b@q etc ten to open up and fall apart relativley quickly. A fencing supplier i use do make their own, which seem to be a lot better. They are delivering to me tomorrow, so i will try to ask them how they do it!

Ta,
I suspected that the B&Q etc ones would fall apart.One of the reasons for the question.I think steam or bandsaw them out of planks, then finish off with router on former. Looked at the price at B&Q and thought....nice.
Ever wondered why the DIY stores have big glass doors... to see the people coming.

spoke to them today. they use a single piece of thin timber, almost like a lath but a bit thicker and this bent to form the curve. Used them before but couldnt remember. they look very good and do last well.

Sponsored Links
Ta,
My intention was to use 1 1/2"(inch & a half) square for the top and sides and route into "U" shape top fit the slats and top trellis into.
I would prefer the steam bend option but I guess it would take a bit of time to steam 1 1/2" square and then bend it to shape around formers. Other option is to kerf the top but I was trying to avoid that. Obviously that's why the commercial ones use multiple laths for the top, no steam required.
George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back