Fence treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a large fence installed about 18 months ago and had planned to treat it this year. It is a simple slatted type fence with gaps between the slats. I have tended to use Sika wood treatment on all my exterior wood and was going to use the same here. I have now discovered that this treatment needs a sealing coat on top of it. I have never had a problem in the past with not overcoating this treatment on garden benches and other external wood but if it is advised to overcoat this then I would rather do so. I don't want to change the colour of the wood so what would be an easy to apply matt overcoat for this. Is there a treatment that does the lot, i.e. prevents mould and rot and acts as a sealant? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's the water based wood treatment. I use the solvent clear version.
Now you used maybe give it another coat to keep up the protection outside

I haven't used the water based Sika treatment yet. Just been waiting for it to dry off a bit before treating. What was the solvent clear version you used. Was it a Sika product?

I'm looking forward to painting my fence this summer and will probably use an undercoat of Cuprinol, starting with a light colour then adding darker shades in several coats til the end of Autumn, then a top coat of Ronseal ready for winter.
This will give the wood good protection and a depth of colour that'll keep it looking good for the next ten years.

Sponsored Links
So is a water based or solvent based water sealant the best? My fence is still fairly light but I am going to lightly sand it to even up the colouring on some slats. I then want to keep it light so a water repellant with UV protection would be ideal. Has anyone any experience of the Barrettine wood protector?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back