Fence With Trellis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We are having a fencing installed around our front garden and with some trellis on top

What would the legal limit be on the fence itself ( height from ground ) and would we be able to have trellis on top.

Our neighbour had a word with our gardener and says we need planning permmision

from what i have read the fence can be 2metres high but not sure about trellis ontop.

We think she is jelous that we are spending money to have a nice garden and to keep her annoying brats out.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Front fencing is restricted by 1m if by the road or footpath and 2m elsewhere..

But if your property is listed etc other factors can apply..

Putting trellis ontop of the 1m high fence is a grey area on planning i believe and one way to get fencing/boundarys higher as its more considered vegitation by some.. your best bet is talk to the local planners..

That said i do know a local property to me who have been made to remove their trellising from their front lawn wall which is on the corner of two roads thus was restricting sight lines..

Hi Thank you for your reply.

I have managed to find a page on our local council website and they state the same as what you mention.

The fencing on the sides of neighbours is 5.6 feet which is less than 2 metres which i think is 6.6feet.

The fencing facing the pavement/road we may have to ring them as i know the wrought iron gate is 5.6foot and the fence just below. So we shall ring council on that - trouble is its all being built this week, how long would coucil take ? or is that anyones guess ?

Regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back