fences gates planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been burgled so erecting gate fence see pics i need planning it seems ...
both fence and gate are 2m
if i pull fence and gate back from highway how far back would i need to go to avoid planning
or what other methods to avoid planning ..
if i apply for planning i am now seeing posts where people have been turned down planning on grounds of not fitting into local area
gate is metal and ply
fence rough sawn timber
tia

Attachments

• gate 2 (2).jpg
    gate 2 (2).jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 322
  • gate 2 (1).jpg
    gate 2 (1).jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 330
Sponsored Links
I’ve never come across a maximum distance from the highway for it to not be considered as such. But surely the further you pull it away, the more exposed your frontage would be so are not really achieving anything.

Could you not have a PD complaint fence/gate on the highway and then a taller 2m one on the line of the house? What does your existing frontage look like... do you have a photo?

yes can u see 2 files pics on frontage to give u some idea

Sorry, I didn’t know that was your house but something you’ve seen and like. You’re going to need Planning and I can’t see how you’d set that back far enough to be considered PD. Why not have something as tall but more in keeping in which the LPA would support? Railings on their own would probably more favourable as opposed to closing the gaps with ply.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what your want to do. You say the existing fence is 2m which contravenes planning, but what is it that you are asking?

looking for ways to avoid planning idealy ...if it s possible like to move fencing back or gate to avoid it or plant some leyland i in front of fence
or if i apply for planning ways of getting that through because it might not go through because of not fitting in with local area they ,might claim ,,

You may want to review your strategy.

Cover from trees and bushes is cover for burglars. A high fence means a burglar jumps the neighbour's fence instead.

Floodlights, security paint, breakable trellis may be more effective. And thorny bushes or vines on top of the fence

There is no defined distance from a highway at which the height requirements do not apply. And if you set a fence back some distance, then that could create problems with the land in front of it - ie anti social use.

That fence/gate combo does look fairly ugly. Instead of the fence, plant some spikey shrubs. Gate- unless you've got goodies on show behind the gates you're sometimes better off with railing or mesh, the scrotes will still be visible from the street. Lights, CCTV, antivandal paint, lockable posts if its car theft your worried about....usually local Plod will advise (maybe not right now) about works best against your local toerags

Sorry to hear you've been burgled.

Looks like fort knox already! Sounds counter-intuitive, but such measures to secure your house may make it look more attractive to thieves. (In their minds there's something worth protecting inside and thus something worth breaking in for).

As others have said, you're not going to be able to build fences/walls high enough to actually stop someone getting onto your property if they want to. There are other ways to deter thieves and make your house a hard target.

I note your neighbour to the right (as you look at your house) has no high fence. Wonder if they've been a victim of crime too....

yes thats the issue having to put up side fence to cope with that ,,neighbour has had people messing with her cars on front ,,ive had numerous people on my drive but neighbour doesnt want side fence or my gate and front fence ....wants an open aspect ,,,that was nice idea a few years back but now -no way

Where abouts do you live? Sounds awful - almost like you need to be a prisoner in your own home.

I can recommend Ring floodlights with cameras - great for alerting you to movements

anyone know about planning ive submitted pics to council
see attached pics
enforcement dept arent exactly helpful ,,giving me this answer so far ,,"I can say though, in it’s current form the gate and fence will be refused." advising me to pay fee to get information from planning dept
all around me there are fences gates way above 1m and certainly without PP
TIA

Attachments

• plann 1.jpg
    plann 1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 276
  • plann 2.jpg
    plann 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 260
  • plann3.jpg
    plann3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 283
Me thinks you are about as invisible as possible; I also think you may have 'shot yourself in the foot' by contacting the council planning department! It's quite possible that your neighbours to the left (as we look at the pictures) could also be contravining the R&Rs and could be adversely affected if the council come looking at you behest.

Myself I'd be fitting CCTV and lights, possibly reduce the height of the front fence - yes it mean the toerags can see much easier but they can also be seen from the roadside that much easier as well.

ah well i didnt contact planning my neighbours to my right made a complaint even though they have had issues with local trash ,,,neighbour to left has already got planning permission .getting info is getting frustrating tbh as to what planning deems to be acceptable ,,,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back