Planning for front wall/gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in a Conservation area but PD has not been withdrawn.

I note that the planning portal states that a wall/fence/gate can not be greater than 1m if next to a pavement.

I'm on a hill and have a wall already but want to add gates. Some of the piers of my wall are already slightly above 1m (and have been for years) but some need to be raised slightly.

Anyway, I notice that both I and other neighbours have fence panels dividing our front gardens that are 5ft tall. Nobody has ever complained.

So am I misunderstanding this 1m rule or has a blind eye been turned to the fence panels?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anyway, I notice that both I and other neighbours have fence panels dividing our front gardens that are 5ft tall. Nobody has ever complained.

Do you have a public footpath running up your gardens parallel to the fence too?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a public footpath running up your gardens parallel to the fence too?

Hi Woody

No its just a regular street. In other words I have a wall at the very front of my front garden and the is a footpath is just on the other side of that.

The garden fences that divide the gardens run at right angles to the footpath and run from the front of the house to the front garden wall....so they are just a wall's thickness from the footpath.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back