Permission for front garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick one.

Am I correct in thinking that I do not need permissionto construct a garden wall with a height less than 1m along the front perimeter of my property which runs alongside a pavement and road?

My understanding is that sub-1m no PP is required is that right? Is that still the case in a conservation area on a property with no listing?

Sponsored Links
Correct on all fronts.

Blimey that was quick, many thanks! And the fact the wall will run alongside a road is not an issue?

As an extension to this 1m wall, am
I able to have Victorian metal railings mounted on top of the 1m wall this raising the level of barrier?

Sponsored Links
You're pushing it now! :LOL:

I know!... but reading the rules regarding the wall I can't see anything restricting the addition of railings or indeed a hedge on the property side of the wall.

A hedge would be allowed, but not railings.
(if railings were allowed on top of a 1m wall, what's to stop you making them 30 feet high?)

A covenant to maintain an open plan would prevent any wall or fence.

The rules relate to anything that you have to build - using bricks, wood, metal, matchsticks, bones of annoying people. If you could grow a brick tree, then that would be ok.

That's great guys, thank you. And also thanks Woody, I will check covenants too!

Be aware that some conservation areas have further 'article 4' directions, prohibiting activities that would otherwise be permitted development.

Would not block views of the highway
Fitted in with the locality
Necessary, or solved a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back