Excavating up to pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of any planning permission / building regs issues surrounding excavating one’s garden which leads to a council pavement in order to level it?

My grandfather is looking to buy a house which has a patch of grass / garden which is around 3-4m wide running the length of the house from approx. 1m below pavement level up to the path.

He wants to flatten this to park his caravan on however I am concerned about the impact this would potentially have on the pavement that runs along it and the structural works required to ensure that the pavement does not collapse which I imagine would involve a concrete retaining wall.

On top of this, because it affects council property, I'd imagine that there would be planning permission and building regs issues around this...

Sponsored Links
Your grandad will have a common law duty regarding support to any adjacent land, whether it's council land or not. But the fact that it's a public highway would also invoke other legislation should he prevent normal usage of the highway by causing it to collapse or create a trip/fall hazard.

It's not a planning issue for the excavation, but that's not to say that the work itself (creating a hard standing, and or access) does not need planning permission.

Building regulations won't apply.

Parking caravans may be prevented by the deeds or a previous planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back