Fencing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back garden runs on a slight slope.

The fence at the bottom (or top as it runs downhill!) of the garden is needing replaced.

I have bought new fence panels and will use 3 of the 4 existing uprights and replace one damaged one.

I have noticed that there is a lot of mud pushing against the bottom of the old panels which has resulted in them breaking.

I have shoveled as much away ahead of inserting new panels but I'm sure I'll have the same problem down the line. In removing the dirt I've noticed a lot of rocks/slates which previous owner must have tried to use as a deterrent but has added to the weight pushing on the panels.

If anyone has had a similar issue it would be great to find out how you got round it!

Cheers,
[/b]

Sponsored Links
have you considered using concrete posts and gravel boards? They are usually a foot high but you can stack them on top of each other to make it higher if needed.

I would definitely consider using a concrete post system as it is far Superior than using timber posts - the posts won't rot or snap off in gales unlike ordinary timber ones - I take it that's whats happened to one of yours.

I have recently replaced the fence at the end of my garden:

dscf5205d.jpg

As for the corners, I opted to use 4"x4" timber posts (not the commonly used 3"x3" ones) for the corners because although concrete corner posts are available, they cost about £30 each and are extremely heavy.

dscf5239.jpg

The gate and trellis was reused from the old fence to keep costs down.

Anyway wish you well on your project - hopefully you'll be working in the shade :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back