1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fencing questions

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Captain Nemesis, 1 May 2021.

1. Im looking at different options for garden fencing- some to be 6' high, some 4'.

I quite like the look of horizontal T&G.

1) Any advice on what I should expect to pay for good quality panels? Ideally good enough not to need vertical battens one side, i.e. two "fair" sides.

2) If I use slotted posts, do I need panels at all? Could I not just drop individual boards in?

3) I really like the look of this:

[​IMG]

Particularly when mixed with other materials

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.tuin.co.uk/aluminium-tongue-and-groove-boards-25mm.html

Not so keen on the prices though (approx £190/m2) - has anybody ever seen anything similar? I cant help thinking that if I could buy powder coated aluminium boards from a company which makes that sort of thing rather than a trendy verandah/fencing company I might find it a fair bit cheaper, but searching hasnt turned anything up.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ETAF

ETAF

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i have put this fencing up
    https://www.diy.com/search?term=shopdarkgreyneva
    But ONLY 2 panel worth and on top of a 3 ft brick wall
    Cost a lot , but makes a feature of a standard fence, although the wall runs the length of the fencing
    Expensive

I also had samples from a few companies on sone composite fencing , but that was just a search in google

4. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey ETAF they look quite interesting, how tall are they? In true B&Q tradition that information seems to be missing from their website.

5. ETAF

ETAF

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    they have quite a few different height posts
    I think upto 2.4 high
    https://www.diy.com/departments/goo...otted-fence-post-h-2-4m-w-70mm/1620815_BQ.prd

I used a much smaller post as i was already on a 3ft wall , and also had a square on the bottom for sitting on the wall.
    and we just wanted a small feature within the normal wooden panels

At the side of the B&Q section , they have a filter, so you can see the heights of various posts

The main issue when I did this , in June 2018, was getting the stuff, ended up at 3 different B&Q's as their stock system was useless - lots of phoning and checking what was in stock. That was JUST for 3 posts, 4 sets of 3 slats and 2 decorative panels. They did not have the range they have now.

Also some of the photos are misleading , you need to click on them to see what you get.
    Like the slats are sold in packs of 3 https://www.diy.com/departments/goo...-slat-l-1-79m-t-21mm-pack-of-3/1620819_BQ.prd - if you click on the photos , you will come to the HOW TO USE , and then see the bits needed.

BUT CHECK the stock levels , we have B&Q around us , 4 within about 25 miles - and had to go to ALL of them. Bognor, Havent, Portsmouth & Fareham. 1 store had ALL the stock we were missing listed , but when we got there , they could not find any of it, hence the change to lots of phone calls
    NOW of course click&collect is much easier and more reliable - I would do that. NONE of it was available for home delivery.

Last edited: 2 May 2021
  6. Alan Blake

Alan Blake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I came across this post not to sure if it is still relevant to yourself but perhaps if other people come across this like myself if may help!

I have been looking for composite fencing supplies in my local area (Sheffield / Worksop) & came across Three Counties Composites.
    They have a website selling individual boards, post & caps. I believe I needed around 13 boards to fill one of my fence panels. Again not 100% sure think I paid around £175 per panel with I think we very reasonable.

To answer you second question yes my boards just slotted into the posts, they added a top piece to keep them from lifting up. Not to sure on how to add pictures lol but i will just leave the link so you can have a look. Overall would highly recommend composites to regular wood.

Links removed

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Oct 2021
  7. Sponsored Links