Fencing Suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting up a fence between us and neighbours (open plan estate c2000) to alleviate the mass of paving and tarmac. I am thinking tubular steel posts with brackets manufactured to suit and then use timber rails and slats between the posts to form some sort of attractive fencing.

I am looking for suggestions for cost effective and durable timber. I may paint the timber or stain depending on the timber selected. I had thought oak depending on cost

Sponsored Links
Timber posts with concrete spurs, or just concrete posts are alternatives. Oak would be expensive.

Blup

If the estate was built 'open plan' then you may need to check you can actually put a fence up.
Best people would be your local council planning dept.
Could save you wasting your money building it only to find it is not allowed. Don't use the excuse that others have already done it. It doesn't make it right.

If the estate was built 'open plan' then you may need to check you can actually put a fence up.
Best people would be your local council planning dept.
Could save you wasting your money building it only to find it is not allowed. Don't use the excuse that others have already done it. It doesn't make it right.

Good point. I have seen the deeds and there is a covenant that has some wording along the lines of no fences onto the estate roads. However, this fence is not facing onto the estate roads as these end on my proerty boundary on one side and there is an easement to allow nextdoor to cross my land. I can have a word with local planning but when I asked about rear garden fences greater than 6' I was told they would not enforce it.

There are quite a few house near me where the owners have clearly ignored the covenants (I don't think anybody really bothers once the estates are complete) and have fences and hedeges between properties and onto the estate roads. Two wrongs don't make a right but it becomes more difficult for the council to enforce anything I do.

Sponsored Links
Good point. I have seen the deeds and there is a covenant that has some wording along the lines of no fences onto the estate roads. However, this fence is not facing onto the estate roads as these end on my proerty boundary on one side and there is an easement to allow nextdoor to cross my land. I can have a word with local planning but when I asked about rear garden fences greater than 6' I was told they would not enforce it.

There are quite a few house near me where the owners have clearly ignored the covenants (I don't think anybody really bothers once the estates are complete) and have fences and hedeges between properties and onto the estate roads. Two wrongs don't make a right but it becomes more difficult for the council to enforce anything I do.
All true in theory but if you've knowingly broken the rules and you're the one they spot - and choose to make an example of - then what the Joneses have or haven't done is immaterial.

All true in theory but if you've knowingly broken the rules and you're the one they spot - and choose to make an example of - then what the Joneses have or haven't done is immaterial.

Absolutely! I tend to do things within the rules as I don't fancy the hassle of fighting against something I know is wrong. I have noticed one "contravention" is by a police officer ;)

I have checked the deeds and I was right in the restrictivre covenant - no fence to the estate road but nothing is mentioned about fences between properties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back