fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a run of 12 x6' bays. The first and last posts are in fixed positions being against the house and at the convergence of boundaries. Ideally I would like to erect the new posts in the same position as the old. However I would have to remove the old concrete first which would be very hard work or I could dig new holes next to the old which would result in the bays being approx 7' which would then concertina along the run with the last bay being only 5' or so. Due to neighbours I can't dig new holes either side of the old, only in the direction of the run. Any ideas much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
are all the pannels exactly six foot is there no filling in pieces.
youll be very unusual if your garden is excatly the same size as the pannels idealy you need to go at least 12" away from the old post to avoid theconcrete foot print so youll need to start at one end or the other with a shortend pannel and perhaps a couple of gravel boards upended to fill in the gap

Replaced two fences in the back garden last year,both had concrete posts set in concrete.
Rather than digging them out for no real reason,I fastened new wooden posts to the existing concrete ones and fastened wooden fence to them.
Apart from getting good solid posts for little effort,also I have no wood immersed in soil,so LONG time before it will rot.

Don't know if it will work in your situation,but it's another way of doing it.

You could use metpost repair spikes.
These are knocked into the existing concrete where the old post was, sawn off at ground level.

Sponsored Links
Or you might be able to drill out the wood from the old concrete base. then you can just insert a new post into the existing base. Depends how well it was done in the first place. Sometimes it works, particularly if you have a big lump of concrete to begin with.

Investigate one post to see exactly what is under it. It might also be that there is only a concrete cap at the ground level with just mud beneath it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back