FENSA and why it is needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have often wondered why we need FENSA when considering these facts below as seen on the FENSA website.

It appears FENSA only applies to Windows and Doors and nothing else.

I also note that most window fitters today; fensa or otherwise; are not indentured apprentice timed served tradesmen; I would think that this should be an important issue in today's world with so many regulations abounding.

--------------------------------------------------
FENSA

What has to be certified?
Where a window or windows is/are completely replaced (as opposed to repaired) in existing dwellings, they must comply with Approved Documents Parts L1B and K4 (England) or N (Wales) (safety in relation to impact). In addition, the building should not end up with a worse level of compliance with respect to other applicable parts of the Building Regulations, which includes Parts A (Structure), B (means of escape in case of fire), C (Moisture Penetration, F (ventilation), J (combustion appliances and fuel storage systems), M (access for the disabled) and Regulation 7 (Workmanship and Materials).

The Building Regulations for replacement windows state that "The situation must be made no worse than the outgoing windows". For example if the outgoing windows contained trickle vents the new placement windows must include them.

Windows and doors in critical locations ie windows below 800mm from floor level and doors where the glass comes within 1500mm of the floor level to the start of the glass must contain safety glass (toughened or laminated) and must include the relevant safety mark clearly visible to comply with Approved Document N.

Compliance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 is also essential.

FENSA does not apply to conservatories, porches, commercial premises or new build properties or extensions. In all of these instances you are required to go through the Local Authority Building Control process. If your property is a flat then planning permission may be required before replacing your windows, therefore it is advisable to check this with the Planning Department of your Local Authority. If planning permission is required a FENSA registered company can register the installation for certification purposes. If you live in a property that is a Listed Building and wish to replace your windows this would fall under the jurisdiction of the relevant Local Authority therefore planning permission would be required and the installation cannot be registered with FENSA.

Doors with less than 50% glazing do not require registration.

FENSA also does not apply to caravans or holiday chalets.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a point or a question?

I think it was a question in the 1st line "why do we need Fensa"

Firstly without Fensa & Certass etc we wouldn't have enough building inspectors to check every job. Hundreds if not thousands of houses have new windows fitted every day. It would be rediculas to have them all site visited.

Secondly cost. Down my way the cheapest rate for a visit from a building inspector is about £200. If someone is doing one or 2 windows at a time its going to cost a fortune.

Do you have a point or a question?

I think it was a question in the 1st line "why do we need Fensa"

Firstly without Fensa & Certass etc we wouldn't have enough building inspectors to check every job. Hundreds if not thousands of houses have new windows fitted every day. It would be rediculas to have them all site visited.

Secondly cost. Down my way the cheapest rate for a visit from a building inspector is about £200. If someone is doing one or 2 windows at a time its going to cost a fortune.

What happened before fensa? AFAIK it was brought in because there was no control of efficiency with replacement windows. In other words its to provide a paper trail for energy use obligations etc.

Sponsored Links
FENSA are not interested in complaints & just side with the fitter/supplier. Had experience of this & believe everyone should use recommendation before FENSA certified!

FENSA are not interested in complaints & just side with the fitter/supplier. Had experience of this & believe everyone should use recommendation before FENSA certified!

With respect it has never been in Fensa's remit to get involved with workmanship type issues, if it was then i truely believe they would come down on the installer and remove their certification until they prove they have overcome the issues in question

A popular misconception is that Fensa is the equivalent of Corgi/gas safe, it is not

I feel that FENSA is mis-advertised by itself & all the trading standards/watchdog type programs. They make it sound like the CORGI (gassafe etc) of windows!

No offence, what is their re-mit?

I feel that FENSA is mis-advertised by itself & all the trading standards/watchdog type programs. They make it sound like the CORGI (gassafe etc) of windows!

No offence, what is their re-mit?

Fensa was set up to make sure installations meet building regs and to enable installers to certify there own work to take the load off LABC THATS ALL

I don't know what adverts for Fensa you've seen but please link me to any that say they get involved in any other issues other than building regs, yes they will report installers for mis-use of the logo to trading standards but thats it, they don't care if the fitter didn't hoover up, or left a smell in your toilet, they aren't there for that

I've already had to put 2 customers right today, both blaming Fensa, 1 for a 10year old leaking roof vent in a conservatory and the other a pair of french doors that had dropped and were draughty, how is any of that Fensa's fault?

Its generally out there in the mindset of the average Joe that Fensa are some all in quality assurance outfit, when they are not. As is demonstrated by the many posters who crop up in this section of the forum aghast to discover that Fensa is worthless in terms of workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back