Fensa certification and regs help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im selling my home i sign contract very soon.Howeveri have just had a letter from my solicitor regarding a Fensa certificate. I Had my windows fitted by a Fensa company in 2003, i did not get a certificate from them.
When i looked on the internrt regarding it all, it goes on about planning permission etc and you cant sell house if you dont have one.Im totally confused .
I did not apply for planning permission and live in a normal semi detached house.The compnay are a Fensa registered company but i dont have a certificate.Im very worried any help appreciated.I do not want to loose the sale of my home nor delay it .Can someone explain regarding this.

Sponsored Links
Hi , i have done but apparently it is suppose to be on a data base and obviously it isnt hence why my solicitor has wrote.Apparently its part of the searches that they do when selling etc.
Im really worried this will delay any sale as im suppose to sign contract.The windows were fitted 2 years ago! we were told none of this ive been on www.fensa.co.uk. and its says you CANT sell hose without it !!

Surely it wouldn't take long for Fensa company to give you another certificate?

Sponsored Links
Also contact FENSA directly - the installer must issue you with a completion certificate - they should have your job on their records - providing the installer informed them as they should

You have the company's invoice, they installed the windows. Don't be frightened by this next bit, but both the house owner and the company have committed a crime if they have not been installed according to the regulations. As I understand it FENSA have this scam where the registered company installs the windows, tells FENSA and pays them a fee and FENSA send you a certificate to say everything's ok, despite the fact FENSA haven't inspected (so how would they know). The scam fails when the registered company fails to tell FENSA, and pockets the fee (though it's so small it's not worth bothering about).

You or your solicitor could write to the company pointing out their criminal ommission, in that they must have installed the windows correctly AND given you a certificate to say so. You should also inform the tradings standards department, and the building control department, since that will stir things a bit for the company.

I'm not sure about planning permission as that seems to vary across the country, but building regulations certainly apply.

It won't be long before the housing market collapses as more and more of these cases screw up the system. Then it'll all be ok again because the law will have to be changed because the situation will be intolerable.

Hello I have been reading the following posts and was wondering what the outcome was. We are selling our house and quite far into the process and now the buyers solicitor is asking for a FENSA certificate for the windows we replaced 3 years ago. We only replaced a few windows and my auncle did it for us he is qualified carpenter and did it as a favour the windows were bought from a FENSA approved company and they are K glass, we are unsure what to do so was wondering what happed in you situation, thanks
Ami

As orginal post was over a year ago i would assume it got sorted.. maybe start a new thread if you have a query

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back