FENSA regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not posted here for a long time but in need of some advice that i'm struggling to find online

I have a property that I am now renting out, which used to be my main residence

I had a gas safe engineer out today to carry out a gas safety certificate, he has found that the bathroom window opening is less than 300m from the wall heater flue/vent

The windows in the house where installed by Safestyle approx. 14/15 years ago.

My question is, FENSA states that Open flue appliances affected by the window/door replacement will be checked for adequacy of combustion air supply. At the time of having the windows replaced, did this regulation still apply?

Would Safetyle have not mentioned this when recommending the windows, or would they have issued a FENSA certificate?

Sponsored Links
I think you're confusing gas regs with window regs. The distance of the flue to *opening* window is a gas reg.

I think you're confusing gas regs with window regs. The distance of the flue to *opening* window is a gas reg.

I understand that, but the flue/vent was there long time before the window was fitted. Safestyle recommended the half open window to match existing windows, surely their own surveyor should have spotted there was a vent below the window and not recommended that type.

The original window opened at the top, so vent was fitted well within regulations, the new window break those regultions, that's window surveyor fault surely?

Sponsored Links
Flues serving oil pressured appliances should be a minimum of 600mm away from any openable window
300mm if a fix pane

Flues serving gas appliances is 300mm
150mm if a fix pane

I think there are a few versions of this reg

Were Safestyle actually Fensa members at the time? Fensa had only just been introduced around the period you are talking about so you should also check the installation date. http://www.fensa.org.uk/Old/2016/06/10/combustion-ventilation-don-t-get-caught-out

Not this will ever go anywhere.

Safestyle where FENSA members

After a phone call today to Safestyle, they have agreed they have made an error in the surveying of the property.

They are sending someone out towards the end of the month to measure up and replace the window that they installed

Flues serving oil pressured appliances should be a minimum of 600mm away from any openable window
300mm if a fix pane

Flues serving gas appliances is 300mm
150mm if a fix pane

I think there are a few versions of this reg

It is a gas appliance yes, and less than 300mm from the window opening, luckily they are going to replace it

Or extend the flue the opposite way??

Its not a directional flue, open ended.

Only option would have been to lower the wall heater, which wasn't possible due to floor clearance, or change the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back