ferroli f30 b f5 issue----- fixed :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys i have the above boiler and it keeps throwing f5 error code, iv done some reading on line and it seems the issue could be either air pressure switch or the fan unit its self, now im kinda brasic as most are after crimbo so im trying to get some info as to weather i can test the above parts before i order replacaments or if there is anything else that could cause an f5 error

any help pointers would be very very very welcome

cheers a cold brad :(

Sponsored Links
another one what ???

its not a wind up as u think my mate cant get out to see the boiler before the week end so im looking on line to cover as many possible issues as i can before he gets hear is that wrong??

That's not what's stated in your original post. That reads like you want advice on how to tamper with your gas appliance.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I'm no expert on these boilers but the APS and fan should be relatively straight forward to test. The APS will just look to have a circuit through it when the fan runs. You could test its operation by blowing/sucking down the tubes to it. Not sure on voltages to the fan on those, possibly 240v?

I have always found that with air flow issues it's not always the components. Make sure the flue is clear without air restrictions and check case seals as they can cause issues of a similar nature. Some fans have a Venturi also which is worth checking as blockages on these can stop the pressure being sufficient to make the switch.

Check the obvious too such as wiring harnesses and the tubes to the APS for damage/splits

I should also point out that any tests should be carried out by a gas registered engineer.

I hope this helps.

I definitely need to join the CC section!

NB

hell no im not that stupid!!!!! im looking for things for me to mention him to do/look at when he's hear so its a single cost to me

Unfortunately I'm no expert on these boilers but the APS and fan should be relatively straight forward to test. The APS will just look to have a circuit through it when the fan runs. You could test its operation by blowing/sucking down the tubes to it. Not sure on voltages to the fan on those, possibly 240v?

I have always found that with air flow issues it's not always the components. Make sure the flue is clear without air restrictions and check case seals as they can cause issues of a similar nature. Some fans have a Venturi also which is worth checking as blockages on these can stop the pressure being sufficient to make the switch.

Check the obvious too such as wiring harnesses and the tubes to the APS for damage/splits

I should also point out that any tests should be carried out by a gas registered engineer.

I hope this helps.

I definitely need to join the CC section!

NB

excellent ill add that to his list of things to try the week end

hell no im not that stupid!!!!! im looking for things for me to advice him to do/look at when he's hear so its a single cost to me

That one gets used on here daily. So it's either a common cover story for would-be gas DIYers or there's a growing fashion, in the trade, where the RGI relies on the customer for his diagnostic skills.

hmm i can see what u saying but im genuinely not looking to fix it me self my mate is coming round Saturday after speaking to him today he 1st thoughts were air pressure switch and or fan, so i thought id go on line as most do these days to see if there is anything else that could cause the f5 error to appear so i can mention to him tomora or on the day

hmm i can see what u saying but im genuinely not looking to fix it me self my mate is coming round Saturday after speaking to him today he 1st thoughts were air pressure switch and or fan, so i thought id go on line as most do these days to see if there is anything else that could cause the f5 error to appear so i can mention to him tomora or on the day

It's probably best to download a copy of the manual for him if you don't have one already. This should cover most of what he needs, then he needs to rely on his ability as an engineer

manual iv found one on line for the boiler have that saved in my history list, im only asking questions as he openly said he has only ever worked on a boiler like mine once before being a relative newbi to the gas work approx 3 yrs so that bit in back of my mind things what else can it be hence why i signed up hear after a Google search for boiler forum

manual iv found one on line for the boiler have that saved in my history list, im only asking questions as he openly said he has only ever worked on a boiler like mine once before being a relative newbi to the gas work approx 3 yrs so that bit in back of my mind things what else can it be hence why i signed up hear after a Google search for boiler forum

That's understandable

Most boilers work in a similar way... Like a car for example. The principle is the same. They just have their own unique touches.
A boilers objective is to supply heat. Once he understands the basics with sequences and how they operate he should be able to negotiate his way around any boiler. Admittedly he won't be an expert on that particular one but he should be capable of some fault finding.

im genuinely not looking to fix it

I don't mind DIY fixing of boilers by those who have taken trouble to learn to be self sufficient. A skilled DIYer if you like.

I don't like when someone incompetent is overcome with a sudden boiler repair urge immediately after a breakdown. Then gets shirty with those who refuse to ''turn him into an expert'' in 30 seconds.

You'll know yourself whether or not this applies in your case.

i am skilled at diy wood work lol or slab laying but gas nar not even touched it before to much could go wrong!! i play with cars as a hobby and one thing i never touch is brakes on any one else car as i dont want the what if factor if something went wrong

These boilers are crap and parts expensive but the new Modena C HE is the opposite. so don't be spending to much on it.

Most common related faults I find on these are

Fan stiffening up.
A wrong flue restrictor on a ferroli can suddenly cause a problem even if its worked great for a couple of years.
Fan relay on the PCB.

There's other stuff it could be of course but there's where I look first on these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back