Ferrules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if the 15mm metal ferrules, sold by Travis Perkins for the Hep2O plastic push fit fittings they now stock, are compatible with the John Guest Speedfit fittings that they used to sell?

I ask because I've just found a recently fitted T leaking in my central heating pipework, and realise that I've used Hep2O ferrules in a Speedfit T. The ferrules look like this:

http://www.plumbmateonline.co.uk/me...793189fb9b2654ba66ce1a2d80075/h/x/hx6010w.jpg

I have more of these in my system, both 15mm and 22mm. Should I replace them all with Speedfit plastic inserts?

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
All manufacturers (plus most on here) recommend using the correct insert i.e. to suit the pipe.

Speedfit do 2 types of insert, both plastic. One has 2 rubber 'O' rings and should only be used with Speedfit fittings.

Hep2O inserts are metal.

I'd be inclined to find a Hep2O stockist. Rule-of-thumb, use the inserts for the pipe brand not the fitting brand.
Although, that's not always as straightforward as it used to be.

All manufacturers (plus most on here) recommend using the correct insert i.e. to suit the pipe.

Speedfit do 2 types of insert, both plastic. One has 2 rubber 'O' rings and should only be used with Speedfit fittings.

Hep2O inserts are metal.

I'd be inclined to find a Hep2O stockist. Rule-of-thumb, use the inserts for the pipe brand not the fitting brand.
Although, that's not always as straightforward as it used to be.

Thanks. Now I come to think of it, the pipe was new Hep2O. Maybe it was because I re-used the Speedfit T rather than using a new fitting.

What's the difference between the brands of pipe? I'd have thought there would be more significant differences between the fittings. I'm not a plumber though, and don't do a lot of this, which is why I'm asking.

cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
If I may but in?
The outside diameter of these plastic pipes is the same, but the internal diameter can vary somewhat which means that the correct inserts should be used.
If I intend to mix the manufacturers up, I use a brass compression fitting with copper olives - plus the insert, of course.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back