Few downlight questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly does anyone know of anywhere that can supply 35mm downlighters in satin chrome? I normally use TLC and they have the 50mm satin chrome ones which I have used in other places, but not the 35mm ones. In my hallway due to joist position I can't put them in centrteline so I'm fitting four and want to use the smaller 35mm ones.

Secondly transformers, I have only ever used the method of cheap transformers for each downlight, would it be better for me to use one transformer to power all four donwlights? If so what do people suggest? I'll have 4 x 35mm/20W lamps in one part of the hallyway and a single 50mm 35W in the other lower part of the hallway, maybe 50W depending on how the light looks once they're on. All switched from a std toggle switch, no dimmer.

Finally, I always look at low voltage downlights, but what are the pro's & con's of ELV vs LV? Am I right to always go with the ELV lighting or should I consider mains where ELV isn't necessary? I haven't really looked into the cost difference, but was thinking along the lines of reliability, etc.

Sponsored Links
Possibly not going for five downlighters now, I think 4 little ones and 1 big one in different parts of the hallway will look odd, even if it split level.

Will just have to use 50mm lamps all around, so will prob use one 50W and two 35W in the higher part of the hallway.

Will one transformer with suitable power rating of combined lamps be OK, or does it not work like that?

i.e. I could use 3 of these @ £15 + vat

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html

or just use one of these @ £10.99 + vat

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT150.html

whats the distance between the fittings? you could use one big transformer but you may have volt drop issues if the runs are long and if it fails you lose all light.

also seperate transfomers are generally small enough that you can insert and remove them through the light hole.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'd say where I was going to mount the first transformer would have two lights at about 50cm away, and to the third light there would be about a 2m run due to the cables route. Hadn't thought of working out volt drops.

Yeah - I realise most of the smaller ones can go through the holes, this is what I was aiming for originally but if you have a lot of downlights on one circuit it soon adds up using separate transformers for each one!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back