Best place to buy lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy some downlighters for the bathroom (4x LV 50w 50mm dichroic IP44+ in chrome). Can anyone recommend any decent online retailers.

I've found plenty around but they all seems rather pricey to me (about £30 plus bulb plus transformers (EACH)).

'TLC-direct' seem OK?

Sponsored Links
If you think that fitting expensive lights is costly, try fitting cheap ones.

I'll second that ban.
Just the cost of returning to the job can wipe out the profit margin.

Call me naive but I would have thought the lamp itself was the most important bit. The holder is just an electrical contact with some fancy surrounding.

Now on the other hand if we're talking transformers, I'd definately agree.

So, are tlc-direct ok then? Are there an suppliers you would recommend which cater for the DIYer? Other than B&Q :)

Sponsored Links
TLC are great you may have a local one by you, if so pop in and have a chat with the guys in there.

There's also Ebay (be careful of some)

Also Newey and Eyre.

Just wanted to say ... I bought my stuff from TLC. Absolutely first class service. Dispatched for before noon delivery next day! Prices are pretty good too!

[pls forgive the blatant advertising but good service deserves recognition where due!]

good bulbs are important too but fittings are important for a number of reasons

1: light bulbs get HOT. the fitting must be able to stand this without damage
2: light fittings must make good contact, not doing so seems to cause premature failure in many cases (not entirely sure why, possiblly heat damage to the seals on the connections into the bulb). Bad connections are even more of an issue with ELV lighting due to the higher current.
3: light fittings (especially recessed ones) can be a pita to replace (particularlly if you can't find a replacement you like for the right holesize)
4: imported fittings are often short on wiring room and therefore not really suitable for british loop in wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back