fibre cement weatherboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at using a pre-coloured fibre cement weatherboard (Cedral or Hardiplank) over a layer of Tyvek and Cellotex with battoning in between on a single brick wall which has permeating damp where the hard render has cracked and needs to be covered. Has anyone got any experience of fibre cement weatherboarding?

Sponsored Links
I have used various boards commercially - if you buy decent quality boards the colour is in the cement so it's full depth, and reasonably stable. Some colours fade, but it can add to the character of the cladding.

I've used (or specified and seen installed) the Cedral stuff as a cladding and as soffits, seems fine, looks good, seems fairly easy to use, the contractors didn't complain about the price or fixing it up on site and it hasn't fallen off yet! :D Like everything it needs care and attention when installed.

I've used (or specified and seen installed) the Cedral stuff as a cladding and as soffits, seems fine, looks good, seems fairly easy to use, the contractors didn't complain about the price or fixing it up on site and it hasn't fallen off yet! :D Like everything it needs care and attention when installed.

Thanks for that advice-I've only had advice from those trying to sell it so far since I will be paying someone else to d the job for me, so independent opinions are worth their weight in gold. Talking of which I was told that Hardiplank is the better and most recent technology- lighter weight than Cedral, which might be more practical on single brick with timber battoning? I am still wondering whether the extra cost will be justified as the attraction is the low maintenance- 10years before any need to repaint and not susceptible to rot or fungus.
The other question is how is the Cedral finished off around windows etc?

The alternative would probably be Thermowood-if anyone has got any experience of that I'd be glad to hear your opinion too! I wouldn't have considered a soft wood on that wall (south-east facing) and was veering towards red cedar but am told Thermowood doesn't need treating/expensive painting & upkeep like ordinary softwood, is cheaper than cedar & there's less wastage as the knots don't have to be removed like they do from cedar.
Or else there's the Cedral/Hardiplank with no wastage.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back