Fibre cement slates as DPC/packers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
Are fibre cement slates any use at all for using (in a brick wall) as a DPC or for packing up lintels etc? (I've got a fair few skinny offcuts from my reroofing job, would be nice to find a use for them)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if this is a serious post but i'll take it at face value.

Never use fibre cement slates as packers for well almost anything, and especially not for load bearing use below lintels or joists etc.

Ta- thought that would be the case but reckoned it was worth an ask. Landfill it is then :)

Crack on we've been using them as packers for years. They are produced under immense pressure and have a high compressive strength.

Sponsored Links
I live and learn. And I learn from others experience but its still not something that i would do myself, although i'm sure that you've used them safely with no after affects.

I've never seen it done, have SE's seen and passed the practice?

I didn't know about the compressive strength but what about tensile capacity esp. for example, in joist pockets where there is always a little joist spring with any given load?

FWIW: I dont have the reference but there was a well publicised commercial building collapse in outer London some years ago where the major cause was a lintel packed off a padstone with layers of some (non-specified) very hard material that eventually crumbled due to water ingress and traffic vibration.

FWIW: I dont have the reference but there was a well publicised commercial building collapse in outer London some years ago where the major cause was a lintel packed off a padstone with layers of some (non-specified) very hard material that eventually crumbled

Is this what you were thinking of? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back