fibreglass condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 years ago I decided to have two new fibre glass roofs installed. It wasn't cheap,but I got a 20 year guarantee from the installer and also a 20 year guarantee from his insurance company.
I now have a hole in my ceiling which sometimes drips water. Installer says it's condensation, not his fault and not covered because he thinks the upvc bargeboards around the roof have been put straight onto wood.
This was the case however before he did the roof also. So as he removed the old flat roof before he installed the new one, shouldn't he have seen this and told us about it so that we could have had the job done properly. what's the point of putting a new roof onto a suspect structure?

Where do we stand with this guy, as we have been told that it could rot all our wood in the roof?

Sponsored Links
I now have a hole in my ceiling which sometimes drips water. Installer says it's condensation, not his fault and not covered because he thinks the upvc bargeboards around the roof have been put straight onto wood.
And this is meant to be the cause of condensation???

Your roof should be insulated in some way, either by a 'warm deck' or a 'cold deck' method.

It sounds to me as though you have a cold deck but with zero ventilation.

As to who is at fault is down to the ignorance of the roofer and the gullibility of the homeowner. An experienced flat roof installer would insist that the roof be insulated correctly and should have advised.

How is the roof insulated?

Thanks for your reply. We have a cold deck roof. Because the flat roof is on a dormer, we have been cold in winter and decided to have king span for insulation. So we had him install this as part of the job, we were assured that the necessary condensation avoiding procedures,i.e. vapour gaps would be carried out.
We never had condensation problems before, but we have now. Yes, the installer is saying that the condensation is being caused by the upvc barge boards being put straight onto wood. That although he removed the old roof, no responsibility can be put on him for not noticing that there could be a problem. He says that to cure the problem he would need to put scaffolding up and roll back the fibre glass layer etc etc and it would be a big job. I think we need to get an independent person round to have a look. Do you know how I could arrange this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back