Fibreglass insulation under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a daft question but I'm doing my house up and I'm going to put fibreglass insulation(Knauf) under my floor boards and was wondering is it ok to lay it around cables, pipes and should it be a min distance away from lights?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
pipes can (should) be insulated to keep them warm

Cables shouldn't. Lighting circuits are so lightly loaded for their size that they are OK even if buried in insulation.

Some other cables like electric showers and heaters may be too close to their limit. Working it out is a bit lengthy so tell us what cables, if any, you can't clip out of the way so they aren't surrounded by insulation.

Light fittings should be protected from insulation. You can buy or make heat-resistant hoods to keep the insulation off them, or you can use a large terracotta (not plastic) flower pot (this is not a joke)

JohnD as you can imagine under the floor its a maze of wires. If I understand you correctley its ok if the insulation covers 1.5mm lighting cable and I should try and keep it away from the 2.4mm socket cable and the 10mm shower cable?
Is it ok if the insulation is under the 2.5mm cable and not touching it as I'm trying to make the house as efficient as possible so dont want large gaps where cable is?

Sponsored Links
if the cable is in the air, it can cool itself.

It's cable buried in insulation, and surrounded by it, that is liable to overheat.

Clip the cable, and fasten the insulation, so they cannot flop together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back