field shelter conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a field shelter which I want to convert to a room to make a cup of tea and possibly put a wood burner in for the winter. The roof is tin sheet so I want to insulate it. Can I put the insulation against the sheets or do I leave a gap? I'm going to fit tongue and groove timber below.

Sponsored Links
phil parker, good evening.

How often is the shelter used and possibly heated if the wood burner is fitted?

Major problem will be condensation, if not in "use" and left to its own devices condensation will form on the underside of the crinkly tin roof, you may need to introduce ventilation between the tin and the proposed insulation below?

Is it a dirt floor or is the floor suspended timber or concrete? is the T&G going to be fitted to the walls, and what are the walls made of?

Ken

I have a field shelter which I want to convert to a room to make a cup of tea and possibly put a wood burner in for the winter. The roof is tin sheet so I want to insulate it. Can I put the insulation against the sheets or do I leave a gap? I'm going to fit tongue and groove timber below.
Will what you want to do change its use from a portable structure with no services therefore breaching planning regs?

You can glue the celotex or kingspan directly to your
steel sheets with plasterboard glue I.E expanding foam
Have some props ready!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Ken G Mac The shelter will be used mostly on weekends as we live 1 mile from our land and tend to do jobs on the weekend and just tend to the animals in the week. The floor is compacted 3/4 down but I will probably lay crosspieces to support a timber floor. The walls are single skin timber on a 4x2 framework. I will probably tongue and groove the interior halfway up.
Lostinthelight It is a permanent structure but not fastened to the ground and will only be used to make a cup of tea or warm a bowl of soup etc.
Catlad Do I have to fill the profiles as well or is it better to leave an air space as KENGMAC suggested?

If as I assume the shelter is on farm land? then at least up here building regulations are shall I call it relaxed?

The shelter is not a habitable space, but could be used as such, it is more a refuge and only used as a respite from inclement weather and such.

Up here I am involved in building a timber structure for a particular sport I am involved with, so long as the land owner agrees to my proposals, I do not need planning or building control approval, again I stress this is in Scotland on farm land, the structure is not for full time habitation.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back