Fiesta alternator

AZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i start my car it is fine, until i have been driving 15min when this whineing noise seems to appear which is quite annoying. Someone said that it sounds like the bearings are going in the alternator but not 100%.

I have already used the wd40 but to no avail........any advice would be great! It is a MK6 FIESTA. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you take the drive belt off you'll feel play in the bearings (wiggle the pulley) if they're knackered.
Could also be p/steering pump if it has p/steering

Cheers! a couple of people have said it is one or the other, its just so hard to hear which one its coming from as you know they share the same belt.......good thing is i do not have air con on this m6 fiesta so job will hopefully be easier.

IF ANY OF U HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW I CAN TELL WHETHER IT IS THE ALTERNATOR OR P/STEERING PUMP WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE ANYTHING LET ME NOW.

CHEERS :?:

as neo says you need to remove the belt and feel for any play or noise in the bearings,its the only way to do it

Sponsored Links
if you have a seperate belt for the alternator, run it up to the point where it starts whining. turn it off and remove the belt. turn it back on again and see if the whining persists. at least then you will know whether it is the alternator or a/c pump.

you will be able to run for a while on the battery only for the duration of this test.

Back